LiveCD almost dead???

ikke

Re: LiveCD almost dead???

Post by ikke »

djemos wrote:
So why don't you provide an official XFCE 14.0.1 release or declare "Salix Live XFCE 14.0.1beta2" official?
Because i did not see any serious interest about them, on testing except one (mimosa).
Kindly note that I have been showing interest in the Salix Live XFCE 14.0.01 since the first day. I have been downloading and testing both the betas.

Guess a few other people were also interested ...

Hope you go on and provide us with a nice Salix Live XFCE 14.1 when the time will be ripe ... A Salix Live Openbox 14.1 would also be very welcome...

Thank you.
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

I for one use Salix Xfce version always. I am looking to Salix for it's ease of install, choice of stable packages and supportive forum members.
.. I ran version 13.1 for about 2.5 yrs. I never needed to install 13.37. I then installed the 14 Xfce beta from the SourceForge repository which I continue to run on 2 machines. During this time I tried the Slackware 14 and 14.1.. really no point Unless one wants to spend time setting it up to where you are looking at Salix. Once you get the beta installed just let packages update naturally. You will get to where you want to be on the whole.
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

ikke wrote:It's a pity you don't see the importance of a LiveCD. You did provide an nice installCD for XFCE 14.0.1. Why not an nice liveCD for XFCE 14.0.1 as well?
Just my 2 cents:
If you want to use a LiveCD for real LiveCD purposes, use Slax! It's IMHO by far the best live system.
If you want to install Salix, use the installer disks!
If you want to test Salix, use the installer disk in VirtualBox and not a slow live system!
ikke wrote:It is really a pity for Salix, believe me.
I don't think so :P
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
ikke

Post by ikke »

Thank you for reaction.

Allow me to diagree with your view and to think differently ...
thenktor wrote:If you want to use a LiveCD for real LiveCD purposes, use Slax! It's IMHO by far the best live system..
Slax has been the best but it was more than a couple of years ago. I use the Salix LiveCD for a "poor man's install" on a usb stick. Then I add some programs and files I need in modules. Everywhere I go I have the same system and I can assure you it is not "a slow live system". Speed is comparable with the speed of Salix installed on hard disk.
If you want to install Salix, use the installer disks!
Agree! I've installed Salix 14.0.1 on hard disk. No complaints at all. Much better than Salix 14.0.
If you want to test Salix, use the installer disk in VirtualBox and not a slow live system!
My aim is to use Salix, not only tot test it. But I am willing to help testing a new LiveCD release.

Du choc des idées ...
ikke

Post by ikke »

Time has been passing by. Almost six months...

Guess I was right : "Salix LiveCD is dead!!!"

Feel it's a pity. Really. Thought some people at Salix were still interested. I was wrong.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I can assure you it's not dead. It's just not ready yet.
ikke

Post by ikke »

Thank you for reply,

Fear that someone will be saying : "I wouldn't be that certain."

Anyway time will show.
jsalpha2

Post by jsalpha2 »

I am glad to see that the LiveCD is not dead. If I want to pop a USB drive in a friend's computer and say "look at this", doing an install is not an option.
Salix with the Xfce desktop should run better on some of the older XP boxes than other distros.
DavidMcCann

Post by DavidMcCann »

Over the last few months there have been a lot of people coming to LinuxQuestions asking for advice about switching to Linux now that XP support has ended. I tend to advise Mint for the larger computers, AntiX for the smaller ones. In fact Salix would be a good choice (the LXDE version is 3/4 of the size of Mint's), but they do like to try before they install to make sure all's well. If the computer is too small for modern versions for Windows, virtualisation under XP may not be a viable option.

Still, "It'll be ready when it's ready" is a better policy than Ubuntu's "Here I come, ready or not"!
Atip

Post by Atip »

There is now a Slackel-Live-Fluxbox and I can tell it is one of the best live CD
I have come accross. Putting it into a USB stick no problem and that has Persistent
really working. All programs are up-to-date with kernel-3.14.13. I installed it
on my hard drive from where I am posting this. I really love it.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/slackel ... o/download

64bit is available as well.