live cd - a few problems

gnomic

live cd - a few problems

Post by gnomic »

Hi,
Have the latest beta of live CD. I found this unable to boot on a ThinkPad T23. It gets past the preliminary stages but when the second progress bar displays on screen nothing more happens. Bit hard to tell what is going on as the machine no longer responds and has to be turned off. Perhaps the only clue is the display has colours out of register on the image which pops up at the beginning of the boot process in top LH corner of screen. Machine is a PIII 1133MHz with 768MB RAM and Savage video. At present it has no hard disk. The appropriate video driver appears to be on the CD. Machine runs wolvix, linvo, zenwalk etc.

I was using the live CD earlier this evening on the web via wireless to an open access point. After perhaps ninety minutes of use Firefox had a meltdown and was only displaying window frames. Usage was light, browsing and webmail. Eventually got a message that the app was no longer responding. This was on a ThinkPad Z60m with Intel 915.

The live CD booted on a ThinkPad R51 also, intel grfx, with some video aberrations, ie wicd icon not displaying correctly. It also booted on a generic desktop, AOpen mobo with Sis chips, early 2000's 64MB nvidia card. Celeron D 2.8 GHz.

The CD does not eject on closedown on any machine I have used. Hope the above is of some use.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: live cd - a few problems

Post by JRD »

Thanks for all these tests.

Well, I'm not qualified to know why you have this type of graphical errors, maybe another guy of the team could answer you and maybe solve the problem.
The information you provided may help to know what driver problem there are.

About the CD not ejecting, it's already corrected for the upcoming new release.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Hmm, perhaps first check if the md5sum of the iso is correct.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gnomic

Post by gnomic »

Hi, thanks for responses.
The md5sum of the iso as downloaded on a USB stick was OK. Does your boot menu include a media check? Afraid I failed to look at dmesg output during the Firefox failure so didn't see if there was anything indicative of media problems. Drive is OK I think, it subsequently ran Pardus 2009.1 live for a couple of hours online. I will try another session, and see what happens.

When is the new version likely to appear? Is an install to USB stick easily done? Afraid I haven't searched entire forums for the answer to that one :)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

A new version RC1 will appear today or tomorrow. There will be an announce on the forum.
About putting it on USB, there will be a HOW_TO file, but briefly it simply to copy the contents of the ISO on USB and launch a bash (or batch) script.
gnomic

Post by gnomic »

Hello again,

Have the RC1, now running to send this message. So far I found it ran on the T23 machine which wasn't working with b2, also on Celeron D desktop, and at present on ThinkPad Z60m w/Intel 915 video.

No recurrence of problems I was having with Firefox stability on beta2 so far (my fingers are crossed as I write). Will try to get around to attempting a USB install in next few days. Enjoying Salix so far. I hadn't been able to check it out as an installed version previously, as the machine I tried to install on complained about not having enough memory for the huge kernel when I tried the first installer iso. Haven't managed to sort that. Think it's some kind of weirdness with the box as Absolute did the same. AMD Duron 900.