Salix • 13.0-rc1 (Live)

ikke

Salix • 13.0-rc1 (Live)

Post by ikke »

Thank you for providing this - at first sight - nice piece of work.

Have followed your suggestion and have been playing with it ...

Would like to do a frugal install of the iso. What would be the best grub entry? Guess the 'from'-option is available.

Could not install the multimedia codecs. Any hint?

More questions may follow as 'salixlive' is very new for me. Think I will be using it a lot.

Thank you for attention.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix • 13.0-rc1 (Live)

Post by gapan »

ikke wrote:Would like to do a frugal install of the iso. What would be the best grub entry? Guess the 'from'-option is available.
SalixLive can be installed using the installer provided which you can find on the desktop and in the menus. It becomes a normal Salix system once installed. If you're talking about putting the iso itself on the hard drive and loading the iso from grub, I can't help you much, never done that, I'm not using grub anyway.
ikke wrote:Could not install the multimedia codecs. Any hint?
Do you have a working internet connection when trying to launch the installer? Any errors? Are you behind a proxy maybe?
ikke

Post by ikke »

gapan wrote:
ikke wrote:Would like to do a frugal install of the iso. What would be the best grub entry? Guess the 'from'-option is available.
If you're talking about putting the iso itself on the hard drive and loading the iso from grub, I can't help you much, never done that, I'm not using grub anyway.
Have been able to do a frugal (= poor man's) install of the iso on hard disk and boot it with grub. But guess the grub entry can be improved.
gapan wrote:
ikke wrote:Could not install the multimedia codecs. Any hint?
Do you have a working internet connection when trying to launch the installer? Any errors? Are you behind a proxy maybe?
No, no proxy. And no errors. The program is running for half an hour but no downloads.

Thank you for reaction.
ikke

Post by ikke »

Further ...

Absence of the multimedia codecs on the livecd and the unability to download them is a problem.

Can you please tell me which files I could download manually so that I am able to play at least mp3-files. Or even better : provide a module with the necessary codecs.

Thank you.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Could it be a RAM problem? The codecs installer needs to download and install many packages. In a live session, all that is stored in RAM, so maybe there's not enough space for the action to take place?
ikke

Post by ikke »

gapan wrote:Could it be a RAM problem? The codecs installer needs to download and install many packages. In a live session, all that is stored in RAM, so maybe there's not enough space for the action to take place?
Thank you very much for your reaction.

Am wondering : have 2 MB of RAM.

Would like to know which packages are necessary. Could then myself make a module and put it in '/salixlive/modules/' so that it is always available.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Salix-code-installer checks the availability of the following packages & download & install them if necessary

Code: Select all

$ cat /usr/share/salix-codecs-installer/pkglist
GConf
ORBit2
a52dec
aalib
alsa-lib
amrnb
amrwb
audiofile
bzip2
cairo
cxxlibs
dbus
dbus-glib
dirac
e2fsprogs
esound
expat
faac
faad2
flac
fontconfig
freetype
gcc
glib2
gnutls
gpm
gst-ffmpeg
gst-plugins-base
gst-plugins-bad
gst-plugins-good
gst-plugins-ugly
gst-python
gstreamer
gtk+2
hal
jasper
lame
libICE
libSM
libX11
libXau
libXdamage
libXdmcp
libXext
libXfixes
libXrandr
libXrender
libass
libcaca
libcdaudio
libcdio
libdca
libdv
libdvdcss
libdvdnav
libdvdread
libexif
libgcrypt
libgpg-error
libid3tag
libjpeg
libmad
libmms
libmpcdec
libmpeg2
libogg
liboil
libpng
libshout
libsoup
libtheora
libvorbis
libxcb
libxml2
mjpegtools
ncurses
neon
openssl
pixman
sdl
slang
speex
svgalib
taglib
twolame
wavpack
x264
xvidcore
zlib
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
ikke

Post by ikke »

Akuna wrote:Salix-code-installer checks the availability of the following packages & download & install them if necessary

$ cat /usr/share/salix-codecs-installer/pkglist
GConf
zlib
Glad to have your reaction.

Is there a way to know which packages are already provided by the Salix LiveCD? (eg 'gcc' is available). It is a lot of work to check all those packages individually and then download manually the missing ones.

Wish to thank (all of) you for providing this 13.0-rc1 (Live). Wating for the definitive version ...

Thank you for kind attention.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

ikke wrote:Is there a way to know which packages are already provided by the Salix LiveCD? (eg 'gcc' is available). It is a lot of work to check all those packages individually and then download manually the missing ones.
Save that list to a file named LIST. Create a findpkg.sh file in the same directory and fill it with this:

#!/bin/sh

for i in `cat LIST`; do
        LANG=C /usr/sbin/slapt-get --show $i | \
        grep "Package Name\|Package Installed: no" | \
        grep -B1 "Package Installed" | \
        grep "Package Name" | \
        sed "s/Package Name: //"
done
Make it executable and run it:

chmod +x findpkg.sh
./findpkg.sh
Let it run and you will get a list of all the packages that salix-codecs-installer was going to install.
ikke

Post by ikke »

gapan wrote:
ikke wrote:Is there a way to know which packages are already provided by the Salix LiveCD? (eg 'gcc' is available)
Let it run and you will get a list of all the packages that salix-codecs-installer was going to install.
Thank you very much for providing this shell script. Appreciate your help.

Guess there is something wrong with slapt-get on my computer. When I try

slapt-get --update
Retrieving package data [http://salix.enialis.net/i486/slackware-13.0/]... 
And nothing happens.

Am able now to play mp3 files. Had only to download the gst-plugins : good, bad and ugly. Am still searching for the files to download to enable me to play the most current video formats with Totem. Anybody help?

More fundamentally : Salix-code-installer is very nice for a installation CD where you have the choice between Core, Basic and Full. Wouldn't it be better for the Live CD to provide immediately the dependency-files to enable 'Exaile' and 'Totem' to run immediately.

Thank you. Wating for the definitive version.