Salix • 13.0-rc1 (Live)

gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix • 13.0-rc1 (Live)

Post by gapan »

ikke wrote:Guess there is something wrong with slapt-get on my computer. When I try

Code: Select all

slapt-get --update
Retrieving package data [http://salix.enialis.net/i486/slackware-13.0/]... 
And nothing happens.
That's your problem then. That's why salix-codecs-installer doesn't work. There's something wrong with your network connection. Can you ping salix.enialis.net? Try to set wicd to use a valid static IP, instead of DHCP.
ikke wrote:Am able now to play mp3 files. Had only to download the gst-plugins : good, bad and ugly. Am still searching for the files to download to enable me to play the most current video formats with Totem. Anybody help?
gst-ffmpeg will play most of them I think.

ikke wrote:More fundamentally : Salix-code-installer is very nice for a installation CD where you have the choice between Core, Basic and Full. Wouldn't it be better for the Live CD to provide immediately the dependency-files to enable 'Exaile' and 'Totem' to run immediately.
We can't do that, as it would be illegal in the US to distribute the iso using sourceforge. And sadly, sourceforge is a US based company.
ikke

Post by ikke »

Thank you very much for your reply. I understand a lot of things now ...
That's your problem then. That's why salix-codecs-installer doesn't work. There's something wrong with your network connection. Can you ping salix.enialis.net? Try to set wicd to use a valid static IP, instead of DHCP.
You are right. But how to solve that problem?

ping salix.enialis.net
one[~]$ ping salix.enialis.net
PING enialis.net (88.191.35.117) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from salix.enialis.net (88.191.35.117): icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=37.5 ms
64 bytes from salix.enialis.net (88.191.35.117): icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=54.7 ms
64 bytes from salix.enialis.net (88.191.35.117): icmp_seq=3 ttl=51 time=52.5 ms
64 bytes from salix.enialis.net (88.191.35.117): icmp_seq=4 ttl=51 time=37.5 ms
64 bytes from salix.enialis.net (88.191.35.117): icmp_seq=5 ttl=51 time=58.2 ms
64 bytes from salix.enialis.net (88.191.35.117): icmp_seq=6 ttl=51 time=55.0 ms
64 bytes from salix.enialis.net (88.191.35.117): icmp_seq=7 ttl=51 time=54.0 ms
^C
--- enialis.net ping statistics ---
7 packets transmitted, 7 received, 0% packet loss, time 6013ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 37.523/49.973/58.277/8.019 ms
This seems OK.
Will also try to set wicd to use a valid static IP.

Have the feeling that now, except for 'slapt-get', all programs work.
Can this help you to find a solution :

root@salixlive:/home/one# slapt-get --install mplayer
Reading Package Lists... Failed to open package_data
package_data: No such file or directory
Perhaps you want to run --update?
Thank you for good advice. Thank you very much.
Shador

Post by Shador »

ikke wrote:Have the feeling that now, except for 'slapt-get', all programs work.
Can this help you to find a solution :

root@salixlive:/home/one# slapt-get --install mplayer
Reading Package Lists... Failed to open package_data
package_data: No such file or directory
Perhaps you want to run --update?
That's to expect if you can't run --update. ;)
Is it possible that you somehow have a proxy set? By using http_proxy environment variable for example.
If I understood that one right, slapt-get uses curl for downloading. So curl config files are a place to look at, too.

If that doesn't help try downloading something from salix.enialis.net using wget. Possibly also increase verbosity (-v flag).
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

After some initial problems with Grub not liking the partition table on my USB stick, I now have the live CD running from USB.

One immediate observation - no UK keyboard layout available? I'm not familiar enough with Grub2 to know what to change to fix that, but not having a UK keyboard is fairly crippling.

Other thant that, things look good. Can we please have UK as an available keyboard option?

Paul.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

toothandnail wrote:One immediate observation - no UK keyboard layout available? I'm not familiar enough with Grub2 to know what to change to fix that, but not having a UK keyboard is fairly crippling.
You're right! There isn't a way! And uk keyboard is not the only one missing. The uk locale is missing too and I think that should be available too. Apparently there are only 15 keyboard layouts to choose from.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

toothandnail wrote:After some initial problems with Grub not liking the partition table on my USB stick, I now have the live CD running from USB.

One immediate observation - no UK keyboard layout available? I'm not familiar enough with Grub2 to know what to change to fix that, but not having a UK keyboard is fairly crippling.

Other thant that, things look good. Can we please have UK as an available keyboard option?

Paul.
Sure... I'll add it for final.

If you want it now, edit two files on your USB key :
/boot/grub/keyboard.cfg and add the following content at the end:

menuentry "uk" { # 15
  set kb="uk"
  set kbnum="15"
  nextconfig()
}
/boot/grub/lang.cfg and add the following content at the end:

menuentry "United Kingdom" {
  set locale="uk_GB.utf8"
  set kb="uk"
  set kbnum="15"
  nextconfig()
}
You can also change the set default=3 to set default=15 in this file to automatically select UK locale.
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

gapan wrote:
toothandnail wrote:One immediate observation - no UK keyboard layout available? I'm not familiar enough with Grub2 to know what to change to fix that, but not having a UK keyboard is fairly crippling.
You're right! There isn't a way! And uk keyboard is not the only one missing. The uk locale is missing too and I think that should be available too. Apparently there are only 15 keyboard layouts to choose from.
Well, I tried editing the keyboard selection, but couldn't get it to work from there. However, making the changes
JRD suggested has fixed it. I now have it booting with UK as the default, which is nice. In fact, I'm entering this from the live system.

I've also just got it booting my partially completed DIY NAS (AMD Sempron 140, 2 GB RAM, 6 1 TB Samsung eco drives), Now all I need is a 64-bit version for it..... Using the core install from USB (I'm planning on installing the OS to a 40 GB IDE laptop drive) should get the whole project up and running.

Paul.
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

JRD wrote:
toothandnail wrote:After some initial problems with Grub not liking the partition table on my USB stick, I now have the live CD running from USB.

Paul.
Sure... I'll add it for final.

If you want it now, edit two files on your USB key :
/boot/grub/keyboard.cfg and add the following content at the end:

menuentry "uk" { # 15
  set kb="uk"
  set kbnum="15"
  nextconfig()
}
/boot/grub/lang.cfg and add the following content at the end:

set locale="uk_GB.utf8"
  set kb="uk"
  set kbnum="15"
  nextconfig()
}
You can also change the set default=3 to set default=15 in this file to automatically select UK locale.
:) Thanks. That works well. I now have the system booting correctly, running on both my T61 laptop and my partially completed super-NAS. I look forward to the 64-bit version.

Paul.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

JRD wrote:

I think it would be better to name it "English (UK)". And rename the other "English" one to "English (US)".
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

gapan wrote:
JRD wrote:

I think it would be better to name it "English (UK)". And rename the other "English" one to "English (US)".
+1