Creating a Live Medium for Salix Openbox 14.1

dhinds

Creating a Live Medium for Salix Openbox 14.1

Post by dhinds »

As an Openbox user on other bases (Debian & Arch) with a high regard for Slackware derivitives (Porteus, Slacko, Slackel), I downloaded the 64 bit 14.1 iso with the intention of testing it on a Lenovo ThinkPad W520 which fails to connect to WiFi with Manjarobox (but can do so with the XFCE DE and openSUSE Gnome - but not oSUSEbox - yet).

However . I see that a Salixbox live session iso is not availalble at present. I also see that:

http://forum.salixos.org/viewtopic.php? ... n&start=10

(2nd page, 4th. 5th and 6th comments down).
Re: In case it is useful for anyone. Salix 14.0 Live XFCE be
by djemos » 29. May 2013, 05:12
Describes how to create one. (I do not need a usb live installation with persistence. I intend to install Salix to an internal drive if it performs as hoped).

This prompts 3 questions:

Can a live iso for Salixbox be expected any time soon?

and

Is the method described applicable to Salix Openbox 14.1?

and

Is that the best way to create a live usb drive? (I usually use unbootin for creating bootable iso's).

As a after-thought: What kernel version does Salix Openbox use?

Thanks in advance.
by djemos » 29. May 2013, 05:12

I am writing this message from a salixlive-xfce 64-bit live USB creating with liveclone.
What i did.
I burn salixlive-xfce 64 bit on a dvd.
Boot from dvd.
Plug in my usb-stick and mount it using the file manager.
Run liveclone. Click on "USB key" TAB. Click on "Path to Usb" and select the path /run/media/one/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx (where x are different hex numbers)
Check "unmodified LiveCD"
click on execute.
After creation umount USB from the file manager right click and click on eject.
Reboot
eject the dvd to not exist. (even it is not needed since usb is the first boot device)
Reboot again and system boot from usb without any problem.
Posted with Sparky Ultra Openbox
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Creating a Live Medium for Salix Openbox 14.1

Post by mimosa »

I believe that method should work just as well with OPenbox. Unetbootin won't help at all though. I'd say an official Live CD for SAlix 14.1 Openbox is a distant prospect at the moment. The kernel is (from memory) 3.10.17).

However, you may be interested in trying Slackel Openbox Live, which has been available for some time - Slackel is Salix's sister distribution.
dhinds

Post by dhinds »

mimosa wrote:I believe that method should work just as well with OPenbox. Unetbootin won't help at all though. I'd say an official Live CD for SAlix 14.1 Openbox is a distant prospect at the moment. The kernel is (from memory) 3.10.17).

However, you may be interested in trying Slackel Openbox Live, which has been available for some time - Slackel is Salix's sister distribution.
Thank you mimosa for your thorough response, which is particularly relevant since you participated in the thread I referred to.

The kernel you mentioned should be fine. A problem exists with the 3.14 running 8 bit windows apps (like the PIM EccoPro I use) under wine that is expected to be fixed in 3.15.

I have not been able to get an openbox version of the distros in which I have an interest in using (Debian Testing, Arch, Gentoo, Slackware, openSUSE or their derivitives) to connect via WiFi on the Lenovo Thinkpad W520 (although other Manjarobox users have been able to do so but haven't been able to tell me which WiFi adaptor they have installed).

I do have Slackel Openbox Live installed on another desktop computer (that doesn't use WiFi) and still have the iso for it. I could use that to determine if it connects to WiFi. There was a problem with Slackel's File Manager recognizing ntfs partitions which I use for data shared by multiple OS's. A solution was provided (as I recall) but I haven't followed up on it.

The W520 is the only computer that has windows installed (since the W520 came with it) but I continue to use some ntfs partitions on all the computers. The majority of the distros I've used have had no problems reading and writing to them.

I did burn the Salix Openbox 14.1 iso to a CD and then booted the W520 from it but didn't see how to run liveclone from it.

If I was able to use WiFi and it recognized my ntfs partitions and was I able to install EccoPro with it, I would free some space on one of the hard drives, install it and use it.

Thanks again for your comments.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Try the Salix xfce 14.1 Live beta (search the forum to find the announcement) just to see if the kernel that ships with Salix 14.1 supports your hardware. If it does, then you can be confident in installing Salix 14.1 Openbox. Liveclone is not applicable because it is not a Live - just for installation.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

dhinds

Post by dhinds »

mimosa wrote:Try the Salix xfce 14.1 Live beta (search the forum to find the announcement) just to see if the kernel that ships with Salix 14.1 supports your hardware. If it does, then you can be confident in installing Salix 14.1 Openbox. Liveclone is not applicable because it is not a Live - just for installation.
OK - I'ĺl download that and burn it to a usb flash drive with unetbootin. BUT - While Manjaro XFCE (Manjaro's main edition) WILL connect to WiFi with the W520's Realtec WiFi adaptor (which was listed as a ThinkPad adaptor and had I known it was Realtek I would have spent $20us more on an Intel) and (as mentioned) Manjaro Openbox WON'T.

On the other hand, Manjaro's current XFCE edition won't install EccoPro (a windows PIM I use) under wine and Manjarobox WILL.

I am looking for a system that does both and everthing else I need. The quality of the forums is important also and this one is a good one, I am pleased to say.

Where I need it is on the ThinkPad and I already have 6 OS's installed there. I'll see what I can do to free up a little space, and thanks for the suggestion.
Last edited by dhinds on 29. Jul 2014, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.
dhinds

Post by dhinds »

Do I really need that?

I have

Code: Select all

slackellive-openbox-6.0-64.iso
which I burned to a usb flash drive using unetbootin and used that to install Slackel with no bootloader to the hard drive of a desktop computer that has no optical disk drive, and did that without a problem (other than refreshing the grub of another system).

The problem with Slackel was the failure of SpaceFM to access ntfs partitions although a workaround for that was suggested.

But I am not a programer, have a considerable number of committments and other OS's are doing the job with the exceptions mentioned. I like openbox (it gets the job done) and prefer lean and secure rolling editions. (OTH, I do use more than one tool for things like word processing and navigating or multimedia. Free and Libre is better but pragmatism is sometimes necessary).

I didn't know how hard it would be for Salix developers to provide a live version or why one isn't available. Some distros have both and the installation iso is often preferable but with a live disk a user will know what he or she is getting and therefore has a basis for deciding to install it.

In any case, thanks for the suggestion.
dhinds

Post by dhinds »

Here is another option:

http://www.wifislax.com/category/downlo ... versiones/

But it's only KDE (no way) or XFCE (maybe - I use a number of modular XFCE apps on openbox anyway).

They are in Spain and their website is in Spanish but that's no problem for me (I'm in Mexico).
Liberada version final de wifislax-4.9
Pues si amigos, una vez mas nos complace presentaros una nueva versión de nuestro livecd wifislax.
That means it's on a live cd. And they have a particular focus on getting WiFi to work (w/ lots of drivers).

(All I found after searching for the Salix openbox 14.1 live beta was for 32 bits).

I'll keep working on this as time permits and keep in touch.
Last edited by dhinds on 29. Jul 2014, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

dhints wrote:The problem with Slackel was the failure of SpaceFM to access ntfs partitions although a workaround for that was suggested.
there is no problem with spacefm and ntfs partitions. Just do not mount any ntfs partitions in /etc/fstab. Spacefm will mount them automatically. This has been solved as you saw in slackel forums.

About wifi what is exactly your problem. there is also ndiswrapper so you can use the windows drive to set up your wifi. I used to do this in the past when only a windows driver existed for my wifi usb stick. I did not have any problem at all.
It is easy to install windows driver with ndisrwapper. Just need only to have it or find it.
dhinds

Re: Creating a Live Mediundm for Salix Openbox 14.1

Post by dhinds »

djemos wrote:
dhints wrote:The problem with Slackel was the failure of SpaceFM to access ntfs partitions although a workaround for that was suggested.
there is no problem with spacefm and ntfs partitions. Just do not mount any ntfs partitions in /etc/fstab. Spacefm will mount them automatically. This has been solved as you saw in slackel forums.
That's good to know. (I installed Slackel but didn't continue using it, mainly due to it's inability to mount drives I have data on and need to access). I can still boot into Slackel on that computger but may need to reinstall something to get the benefit of whatever was fixed.
djemos wrote:About wifi what is exactly your problem.
The problem is I use openbox. This machine has Sparky Openbox on it and the ThinkPad (which has WiFi capacity) has Manjaro Openbox, which won't connect via WiFi. This was discussed in the Manjaro forums and apps were installed but it still wouldn't connect via WiFi.

This is strange because Manjaro XFCE does connect via WiFi (as does openSUSE Gnome. but not openSUSE Openbox, which isn't offered as DE but was constructed and still needs work). So it could be a Openbox problem or a WiFi adaptor problem (some manjaro users with ThinkPads are using WiFi without a problem) or a configuration error.

Only Zeuss knows. :-
djemos wrote:there is also ndiswrapper so you can use the windows drive to set up your wifi. I used to do this in the past when only a windows driver existed for my wifi usb stick. I did not have any problem at all.
It is easy to install windows driver with ndisrwapper. Just need only to have it or find it.
I could give that a try (but not at the moment. I am in the middle of something I need to finish first). I haven't installed Slackel on the ThinkPad or Salix either. I tried WiFi Slax last night and while there were things I liked, there were others that didn't work and neither Wine nor LibreOffice (or even xfce4 apps) were available via gslapt.

What I really wanted was a live version of Salix Openbox I could try before installing, and I am going to have to let this go for a few days.

IAC, I appreciate the quality of Salix's forums and will pick this up again later.

Thanks for the effort and advice.