Salix-live 13.0.2 RC2

toothandnail

Salix-live 13.0.2 RC2

Post by toothandnail »

I must have missed the announcement. Just downloaded and installed RC2. I'm using it from a USB key....

Still very limited selection of keyboard/language. I ended up modifying /boot/grub/keyboard.cfg and /boot/grub/lang.cfg as I did for RC1.

During boot, there is an error message - en_GB.utf8 is not a valid locale. Doesn't seem to affect things, but it doesn't seem to like the UK locale during boot.

When I installed, since the USB flash drive already had Grub2 installed, I ran the install-on-usb script. When I booted from the USB stick, I was dropped to a grub prompt. I ended up having to run bootinst.sh in order to get the correct Grub menu. Without the second reboot, there was only the very basic menu.

Other than those items, RC2 is running fine.

Paul.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix-live 3.0.2 RC2

Post by JRD »

Hi,
toothandnail wrote:During boot, there is an error message - en_GB.utf8 is not a valid locale. Doesn't seem to affect things, but it doesn't seem to like the UK locale during boot.
I need to check, but I think I already fix that for the next version.
toothandnail wrote:When I installed, since the USB flash drive already had Grub2 installed
Then all you needed to do is to copy the files on USB. No need to run anything. I need to specify this, because obviously it's not clear ;-)

Thanks for the report.
One question for stats : how long time take the boot process from grub2 menu to XFCE desktop ?
Shador

Post by Shador »

toothandnail wrote:Still very limited selection of keyboard/language. I ended up modifying /boot/grub/keyboard.cfg and /boot/grub/lang.cfg as I did for RC1..
Which locales/keyboard layouts are you exactly thinking about? Apart from en_GB.utf8/uk?
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

JRD wrote:Hi,
toothandnail wrote:During boot, there is an error message - en_GB.utf8 is not a valid locale. Doesn't seem to affect things, but it doesn't seem to like the UK locale during boot.
I need to check, but I think I already fix that for the next version.
Good. Doesn't seem to have affected anything, but good to get rid of it.
toothandnail wrote:When I installed, since the USB flash drive already had Grub2 installed
Then all you needed to do is to copy the files on USB. No need to run anything. I need to specify this, because obviously it's not clear ;-)
Ahh. Ok, didn't try that.
Thanks for the report.
One question for stats : how long time take the boot process from grub2 menu to XFCE desktop ?
On my T61, 1minutes 20 seconds to the desktop.

:( I've also just tried it on a new project - it will eventually become a dedicated NAS box, but I've not yet decided on what I will use as an OS for it. Booting Salix-live from USB has some strange effects - it comes up with Splashy, but with pretty strange colours (looks almost as though its in low colour mode but showing a high colour graphic?

Boot never completes on that box - not sure if its a graphic problem or something else. It gets past loading the uk keymap, then sits. I'll have to try booting in text mode and see if that works. The box has no hard drives at the moment - it will have 4 1TB SATA drives, and a 40GB laptop IDE (for the system).

The machine itself is AMD-based (so I guess the onboard graphics are ATI). If you need it, I'll dig out the specs on the motherboard for you.

I'll let you know if I work out what the problem is.

Paul.
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

Shador wrote:
toothandnail wrote:Still very limited selection of keyboard/language. I ended up modifying /boot/grub/keyboard.cfg and /boot/grub/lang.cfg as I did for RC1..
Which locales/keyboard layouts are you exactly thinking about? Apart from en_GB.utf8/uk?
:) The only one which worries me is UK, of course. Just looked as though it is a fairly short list.

Paul.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

toothandnail wrote:Booting Salix-live from USB has some strange effects - it comes up with Splashy, but with pretty strange colours (looks almost as though its in low colour mode but showing a high colour graphic?.
This is also fixed now.

Remove the X8 in grub set gfxpayload line. :)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

toothandnail wrote:Boot never completes on that box
I'm heavy interresting in knowing what happens. If you could help it could be great. I suspect some graphical problem since it hangs just aftet the keyboard loading, which is quite the last thing done before loading Xorg.
Shador

Post by Shador »

toothandnail wrote:
Shador wrote:
:) The only one which worries me is UK, of course. Just looked as though it is a fairly short list.

Paul.
Yes, it's definitely not as long as the normal amount of keymaps available through the X Server, because then it would get annoyingly long, but it is as complete as ZenLive was. :)
If somebody misses an essential keymap, he's free to request it.

Accordingly yours has now been added to svn (r514). :D
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

Akuna wrote:
toothandnail wrote:Booting Salix-live from USB has some strange effects - it comes up with Splashy, but with pretty strange colours (looks almost as though its in low colour mode but showing a high colour graphic?.
This is also fixed now.

:) Thanks, that worked.

Paul.
Shador

Post by Shador »

toothandnail wrote:
Akuna wrote:
This is also fixed now.

:) Thanks, that worked.

Paul.
That's also fixed in svn. :mrgreen: