Creating a Live Medium for Salix MATÉ 14.1 64-bit

mtbvfr
Posts: 8
Joined: 29. Jul 2014, 21:45

Creating a Live Medium for Salix MATÉ 14.1 64-bit

Post by mtbvfr » 18. Dec 2014, 04:33

Hi All,

I've read all the pertinent posts, I believe, but it's not clear if it's possible to create a Live ISO for MATÉ 14.1 that can then be written to a USB to boot a Live Session.

If it is possible, using the Salix64 Mate 14.1 DVD ISO (x86_64, 64-bit) to create a Live ISO, can someone clarify the steps needed to do so please?

The Laptop I want to test it on is currently setup to dual-boot between Manjaro and Windows 8.1 Pro. Secure Boot is disabled.

Thanks, Michael.

User avatar
gapan
Salix Wizard
Posts: 5528
Joined: 6. Jun 2009, 17:40

Re: Creating a Live Medium for Salix MATÉ 14.1 64-bit

Post by gapan » 18. Dec 2014, 09:59

There is no available live iso for mate. So you cannot simply "copy" something to a usb drive and boot it. It is possible to create a mate live iso, using the same tools that were used to create the live xfce iso. But that is a job for more advanced users, I'd say it's a job for developers, not simple users. If you're willing to go down that road, we can certainly point to the right direction, but you'll need at least a solid understanding of scripting and a lot of trial and error.
Image
Image

mtbvfr
Posts: 8
Joined: 29. Jul 2014, 21:45

Re: Creating a Live Medium for Salix MATÉ 14.1 64-bit

Post by mtbvfr » 18. Dec 2014, 13:46

gapan wrote:There is no available live iso for mate. So you cannot simply "copy" something to a usb drive and boot it. It is possible to create a mate live iso, using the same tools that were used to create the live xfce iso. But that is a job for more advanced users, I'd say it's a job for developers, not simple users. If you're willing to go down that road, we can certainly point to the right direction, but you'll need at least a solid understanding of scripting and a lot of trial and error.
Can the same process, that was used for the Live XFCE ISO, be directly applied to making a Live MATÉ ISO or does each Desktop Environment have peculiar idiosyncracies that require the configuration to be different?

Thanks, Michael.

User avatar
gapan
Salix Wizard
Posts: 5528
Joined: 6. Jun 2009, 17:40

Re: Creating a Live Medium for Salix MATÉ 14.1 64-bit

Post by gapan » 18. Dec 2014, 14:50

Small adjustments will certainly have to be made.
Image
Image

mtbvfr
Posts: 8
Joined: 29. Jul 2014, 21:45

Re: Creating a Live Medium for Salix MATÉ 14.1 64-bit

Post by mtbvfr » 18. Dec 2014, 20:21

gapan wrote:Small adjustments will certainly have to be made.
I did a little searching and came across the following. Funny that it's made by Tomas of Slax.

Linux Live Kit

It may be out of date though.

Has the SalixOS team used this before? What does the team use now to create a Live ISO?

If the Linux Live Kit could be used I was thinking I could replace the Manjaro MATÉ installation, I no longer use, with SalixOS MATÉ and try creating a Live ISO from that.

Given the same equipment, which SalixOS is quicker to the Desktop, MATÉ or XFCE?

My primary computer is a Core i5 3230M Laptop with a 500GB 5400RPM Hard Drive with 8GB RAM. What boot/desktop load times can I expect from SalixOS?

I am presently using Manjaro 0.8.10 XFCE and it also is problematic for me (I suspect systemd to be the culprit).

Thanks, Michael.

User avatar
gapan
Salix Wizard
Posts: 5528
Joined: 6. Jun 2009, 17:40

Re: Creating a Live Medium for Salix MATÉ 14.1 64-bit

Post by gapan » 18. Dec 2014, 22:19

mtbvfr wrote:I did a little searching and came across the following. Funny that it's made by Tomas of Slax.

Linux Live Kit

It may be out of date though.

Has the SalixOS team used this before? What does the team use now to create a Live ISO?
No, the slackware live scripts were used: http://slackware-live.tuxfamily.org/
which received a lot of changes for salix. You can find them in djemos's github page: https://github.com/djemos/slackware-live-for-salix
mtbvfr wrote:If the Linux Live Kit could be used I was thinking I could replace the Manjaro MATÉ installation, I no longer use, with SalixOS MATÉ and try creating a Live ISO from that.
Why are you trying to replace an actual installation with a live medium? There is no sense in that. You replace an actual installation with another actual installation.
mtbvfr wrote:Given the same equipment, which SalixOS is quicker to the Desktop, MATÉ or XFCE?
Should be roughly the same.
mtbvfr wrote:My primary computer is a Core i5 3230M Laptop with a 500GB 5400RPM Hard Drive with 8GB RAM. What boot/desktop load times can I expect from SalixOS?
Why do you care so much about boot times? Is that all you do with your PC? If you're going to measure how fast any OS is, see how it runs, not how it boots. And the answer to your question is: I have no idea.

If you care so much about boot times, stay with a systemd distribution. I hear that's all the systemd folks care about.
Image
Image

djemos
Salix Warrior
Posts: 1071
Joined: 29. Dec 2009, 13:45
Location: Greece

Re: Creating a Live Medium for Salix MATÉ 14.1 64-bit

Post by djemos » 19. Dec 2014, 12:19

If you want to make a live iso then here is what you need. https://github.com/djemos/slackware-salix-live Just read the README. For mate you have to create the package lists.
Also the config file in 64 and 32 folders has to be adjusted for mate.

These scripts are also used for creating the modules https://github.com/djemos/SaLT-scripts-slackware-salix which are downloaded and linked from the above script. So read the README file for details.

In general here you will find everything you need https://github.com/djemos?tab=repositories

User avatar
mimosa
Salix Warrior
Posts: 3096
Joined: 25. May 2010, 17:02
Contact:

Re: Creating a Live Medium for Salix MATÉ 14.1 64-bit

Post by mimosa » 20. Dec 2014, 15:21

Salix does run, and boot, very fast compared to most other distributions, given the WM or DE chosen, and your hardware. An installed system obviously boots a lot faster than Live, but again, all Salix lives are pretty snappy by average standards.

XFCE or Mate are both good choices for most hardware. For quite old hardware, try Openbox.

mtbvfr
Posts: 8
Joined: 29. Jul 2014, 21:45

Re: Creating a Live Medium for Salix MATÉ 14.1 64-bit

Post by mtbvfr » 21. Dec 2014, 00:47

gapan wrote:Why are you trying to replace an actual installation with a live medium? There is no sense in that. You replace an actual installation with another actual installation.
I would not be trying to replace an actual installation with a live medium. My idea is that, if I like SalixOS MATÉ, I could try to create a Live version that others could use to test and install with.
gapan wrote:Why do you care so much about boot times? Is that all you do with your PC? If you're going to measure how fast any OS is, see how it runs, not how it boots. And the answer to your question is: I have no idea.
Maybe you don't mind wasting time waiting for your computer to become active but I do. Boot time and performance are equally important to me.
gapan wrote:If you care so much about boot times, stay with a systemd distribution. I hear that's all the systemd folks care about.
In case you didn't notice, as per my 3rd post, I'm not a fan of systemd. I've also read reviews that indicate it is slower than SysV. Hence, I'm looking at Distibutions that don't use systemd.

mtbvfr
Posts: 8
Joined: 29. Jul 2014, 21:45

Re: Creating a Live Medium for Salix MATÉ 14.1 64-bit

Post by mtbvfr » 21. Dec 2014, 01:56

djemos wrote:If you want to make a live iso then here is what you need. https://github.com/djemos/slackware-salix-live Just read the README. For mate you have to create the package lists.
Also the config file in 64 and 32 folders has to be adjusted for mate.

These scripts are also used for creating the modules https://github.com/djemos/SaLT-scripts-slackware-salix which are downloaded and linked from the above script. So read the README file for details.

In general here you will find everything you need https://github.com/djemos?tab=repositories
ευχαριστίες

Post Reply