Creating a Live Medium for Salix MATÉ 14.1 64-bit

mtbvfr

Re: Creating a Live Medium for Salix MATÉ 14.1 64-bit

Post by mtbvfr »

mimosa wrote:Salix does run, and boot, very fast compared to most other distributions, given the WM or DE chosen, and your hardware. An installed system obviously boots a lot faster than Live, but again, all Salix lives are pretty snappy by average standards.

XFCE or Mate are both good choices for most hardware. For quite old hardware, try Openbox.
So far, I like LXDE and Maté the most. I like the Menu structure of Maté with useful features like Recent Documents.

I have been "renovating" an older Desktop (Pentium 4 2.66 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HD 58 MB/s) and with wattOS R8 or GALPon Minino Ártabros 2.1 the desktop is active in less time (about 52 secs) than my Laptop which takes over a minute which I think is rather pathetic given its specifications.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

mtbvfr wrote: I have been "renovating" an older Desktop (Pentium 4 2.66 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HD 58 MB/s) and with wattOS R8 or GALPon Minino Ártabros 2.1 the desktop is active in less time (about 52 secs) than my Laptop which takes over a minute which I think is rather pathetic given its specifications.
I suggest to use openbox edition since you have 512 MB RAM.
Before start creating a liveiso you can try openbox live cd 32 or 64
mtbvfr

Post by mtbvfr »

Hi djemos,
djemos wrote: I suggest to use openbox edition since you have 512 MB RAM.
Before start creating a liveiso you can try openbox live cd 32 or 64
In my previous post, I should have been a little clearer.

I am quite happy with the performance of the old Desktop with the Pentium 4 and 512 MB of RAM. It is very responsive and light on resources using GALPon MiniNo Ártabros 2.1.

The Laptop I was referring was the one, I mentioned in Post No. 3 above, on which I currently have Manjaro 0.8.10 XFCE installed.

The old Desktop is only a little less responsive than my Laptop and, from a Cold Start, has the LXDE Desktop active more quickly than the XFCE Desktop on my Laptop.

This is why I am looking at Distributions that have the Maté or LXDE (LXQt) desktop and don't use systemd.

Hasta luego, Michael.