Last preparation for Salix Live 13.0

Akuna
Salix Wizard

Last preparation for Salix Live 13.0

Post by Akuna »

Yes it is really happening! ;)

We are in the process of putting the last touches on Salix Live 13.0 prior to its final release sometimes within the next few days.

For those who may not have tested it yet an unpublicized RC3 version has been available for the last couple weeks here:
http://enialis.net/~jrd/salix/salixlive ... .0-rc3.iso

Since RC3:

=> Bug fixed:
* Xnest
* Lilosetup edit button

The last steps we are now working on concern mainly the final polishing stages:

=> Localization:

At Solution Linux last week in Paris, I was able to meet with some French Linux journalists & 'lobby' for future Salix OS reviews. As they will be evaluating Salix Live 13.0 in its final version, it is crucial that our French translations are not only completed but correct as well.

Of course, this doesn't apply to French only but to all languages as well. We not only want to offer a localized environment & localized tools, but correctly done so as well. So it would be wonderful if this week-end we could all check Salix utility tools, live tools, etc. & if necessary use Transifex to correct eventual grammatical errors, misspellings & typos.

The startup guide is a huge translation undertaking & it is quite probable that only a few languages will be ready for inclusion in Salix Live 13.0 final. If you are actively already working on it & want it to be included in this release, please holler now & tell Cyrille (JRD) so he waits for your translation.

We also decided to add all locales for Firefox in the final release, as a browser is definitely one of the main application used in a LiveCD.

=> Cosmetics:

The boot menu was slightly modified & the Salix Live logo/markings was moved so that it wouldn't interfere with the extra option menu lines.
The word 'Live' & a bit of color was added in the splashy background.

If you think of anything else that is important for this final release, please do not hesitate to bring it up now.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Re: Last preparation for Salix Live 13.0

Post by laprjns »

Hey it's really good. I booted with a newly burnt cd on an old computer that had two cleared hard drives. Booted up with no problems and everything worked including Internet. I then fire up the installer and preceded to do a basic install. As directed by the installer I created my partitions using gparted then when ahead with the installation. The installer was easy to use and straight forward. One of the best installers that I've used.
I did have on issue with the installation of Salix Basic though. When I booted it up there was no Internet connection, so I had to run netconfig to get it up and running. I think on the iso cd, if you choose a basic install, it runs netconfig as part of the installation process or during the first boot up. You might want to think about adding something that configures the network for basic installations.

Regards
Rich
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

laprjns wrote:I did have on issue with the installation of Salix Basic though. When I booted it up there was no Internet connection, so I had to run netconfig to get it up and running. I think on the iso cd, if you choose a basic install, it runs netconfig as part of the installation process or during the first boot up. You might want to think about adding something that configures the network for basic installations.
I think that's OK as it is. Users that do a basic mode installation are expected to know such things anyway.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I agree.

Thank you for you test and review laprjns !
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

laprjns wrote:You might want to think about adding something that configures the network for basic installations.
I'll keep it in mind for next version :)
lory

Post by lory »

Akuna wrote: Since RC3:

=> Bug fixed:
* Xnest
* Lilosetup edit button
Akuna, could you please tell me the Bugfix of the Lilosetup edit button?
What was the problem with? I work with RC2 and made some new base and core
modules, so i only want to fix this Bug. Could i only replace the old Lilosetup script
with the new one to fix this Bug?
Thanks a lot.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

lory wrote: Akuna, could you please tell me the Bugfix of the Lilosetup edit button?
What was the problem with? I work with RC2 and made some new base and core
modules, so i only want to fix this Bug. Could i only replace the old Lilosetup script
with the new one to fix this Bug?
Thanks a lot.
Somewhere along the line it seems I erased the signal emitted from that button in the glade file.
So you simply need to replace it with the new glade file from svn
http://salix.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc ... etup.glade
lory

Post by lory »

Akuna wrote: Somewhere along the line it seems I erased the signal emitted from that button in the glade file.
So you simply need to replace it with the new glade file from svn
http://salix.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc ... etup.glade
thanks, works fine.
btw i saw you did not set the option compact at lilo setup.
With "compact" my system boots 5 sec. faster, on SSD only 20 seconds.
gnomic

Post by gnomic »

Hi, good to hear final is near. Last version I tried was RC1. With this I was getting some minor video glitches on a ThinkPad R51, some desktop icons were not displaying correctly, it was as if they had a grid superimposed making part of the icon invisible. A minor issue though it was sufficient to make it unclear what the function of some icons was, and detracted from the 'look'. The Intel chipset involved was 855/852 GM. From memory another ThinkPad with i915 didn't have same problem. Any idea whether this is better now?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

That is probably related to this: http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/S ... ideo_cards
and won't be possible to fix in the live CD, as we cannot use more than one versions of the driver at the same time. You can probably fix it in an installation and also be able to fix it with persistence in live sessions.