Salix Live Mate 14.1 BETA1 / 2

ikke

Salix Live Mate 14.1 BETA1 / 2

Post by ikke »

Up to now no problems with Salix Live Mate.

Did a frugal install, this means am using the isos as LiveCDs.

May I repeat my questions?

"
Have one question : what is your best way to make additional modules? Kindly provide 'dir2slm / slm2dir' scripts.

One remark : all essential salix files ('liveboot' 'modules' 'optional') are in the directory /boot. Is there a possibility to put them in another directory , eg."salixlive". Is there a bootcode something as 'bootfrom='?
"

Thank you for attention.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Live Mate 14.1 BETA1 / 2

Post by djemos »

There is no dir2slm / slm2dir' functions. There are functions like
dir2lzo() , dir2gz() , dir2lzma(), dir2lzm() . I use dir2xz() {
dir2squashfs xz "$@" -Xbcj x86 -Xdict-size '50%'
}
scripts used to create the modules look on 00_common, 06_createmodule, 08_compressmodule
dir2$COMP modulename.slm is used. (where COMP can be lzo, gz, lzma, xz)
I use xz which is defined in these scripts in config file First someone can download from github these scripts and from them pull all the other scripts to create the live iso for xfce,kde,openbox, fluxbox, mate The documentation

Also SLI install only modules 01-core, 02-basic, 03-full, 04-common, 05-kernel, 06-live. Does not look for optional modules someone has added and recreate the live iso.

Boot options in general
The doc file
the source code
System language and keymap layout
"locale": system language; example: "locale=fr_FR.UTF-8"
"keymap": keymap layout; example: "keymap=fr"; the first two caracters are used for Xorg keymap layout
"tz": timezone; example: "tz=Europe/Paris" (value must be a valid path from "/usr/share/zoneinfo")
"hwc": hardware clock: "UTC" or "localtime"

Modules loading
"include=module1:module2:...": to load selected modules from "/boot/optional" directory (module names are the SquashFS file names)
"exclude=module1:module2:...": to specify the main modules (from "/boot/modules" directory) not to load; example: "exclude=1-gui"

Persistent home directory storage or system changes
"home=/path/to/directory|NFS_resource|UUID|label": activates persistent home directory;
"changes=/path/to/directory|NFS_resource|UUID|label": activates persistent system changes .
I have change it to load a persistent file formatted in ext3 filesystem. So can be used on every system. e.g. changes=persistent ( It is used on boot options on 32 bit and on 64 bit non EFI systems and user has to type changes=persistent on EFI 64 bit iso)

Misc
"runlevel=[1-5]": overrides default startup runlevel (cf "/etc/inittab") ( On Salix Live i use runlevel=4)
on runlevel 5, the user with uid 1000 will be automatically logged in and X session started (if installed); if this user doesn’t exists, root user is used instead ( Not used on Salix Live)
"copy2ram=yes": enables running the live system from memory ( i never used it on Salix Live)
"useswap=yes": enables swap on detected swap partitions ( It is used in boot menu options)
"rootpw=password": defines a root password ( No needed on Salix Live)
ikke

Post by ikke »

Thank you very much for prompt reply.

Thank you as well for providing all those bootcodes. Nice! Very useful!!

Think I understand your dir2xz()-function :

Code: Select all

dir2xz() {
    dir2squashfs xz "$@" -Xbcj x86 -Xdict-size '50%'
}
except for the included 'dir2squashfs'-function. Where is it defined? It seems not to be available in the iso.

And if you allow me : why not use the 'mksquashfs'-function? Eg.

Code: Select all

sudo mksquashfs dir dir.slm -b 1M -comp xz -Xbcj x86 -Xdict-size '50%'
Thank you for your comments.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I provided all the information. In 00_common script is defined the dir2squashfs function. Which use mksquashfs.
To create a module by your own just use mksquashfs. It is better to use persistent and add as many programs you like.
I gave you the whole picture of creating a live iso. Running just the build script and then go for a coffee.
For anyone want to involve the whole source and documentation is on github.
ikke

Post by ikke »

djemos wrote:I provided all the information. In 00_common script is defined the dir2squashfs function. Which use mksquashfs.
Thank you for providing this info. I understand now.
djemos wrote:To create a module by your own just use mksquashfs. It is better to use persistent and add as many programs you like.
Maybe you are right. I prefer not to use persistent and to make my own modules. "De gustibus ..."
djemos wrote:I gave you the whole picture of creating a live iso. Running just the build script and then go for a coffee.
For anyone want to involve the whole source and documentation is on github.
True. Think I am not able to create a live iso. Wille leave that job to you who have a lot of experience in creating isos.

Anyway, thank you very much. Am glad to see you have provided a RC. Will install it (frugally!) and test it.
Thank you very much indeed.