Error when trying to boot Salix live

harshit

Error when trying to boot Salix live

Post by harshit »

I have made a bootable USB using unetbootin of Salix (salixlive64-xfce-14.2.1), but it is giving error as shown in the screenshot below.

How can i fix the error?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Error when trying to boot Salix live

Post by mimosa »

Have you tried dd'ing the image to the stick? I am not certain but I think unetbootin doesn't work, at least with this version.

There is also a script to put live on a USB stick. Please have a look on the release announcement in the forum.
harshit

Post by harshit »

Using dd command to create USB bootable, screw up my USB. It becomes read only and be of no use. So, I avoid using dd as it creates several problem to my USB. As in the official documentation of the Salix, I used unetbootin.

I will try the mentioned script for the same now.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

harshit wrote: 8. May 2018, 05:55 Using dd command to create USB bootable, screw up my USB. It becomes read only and be of no use. So, I avoid using dd as it creates several problem to my USB. As in the official documentation of the Salix, I used unetbootin.
It's easy to restore it, see for instance http://slint.fr/installers/Restore_an_USB_stick.txt

So, try this:
plug in the USB stick, and check it's name with the following command:

Code: Select all

lsblk -o model,name,size,fstype,mountpoint
Carefully review the commands to make sure that you did not type the name of a hard disk partition instead of the name of your USB stick. All previous content of the USB stick or a mistaken hard disk partition will be LOST and IRRECOVERABLE.

Let's assume that the name of the USB stick be /dev/sdb/. It could be named otherwise, so don't copy blindly the following comand. The command syntax to write the Salix ISO to a USB stick that resides at /dev/sdb is as follows, and should be typed as root from the directory where you downloaded the ISO:

dd if=salixlive64-xfce-14.2.1.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M status=progress && sync
After that, follow the link on top of this post if you want to re-use your USB stick for other purposes.

Didier
harshit

Post by harshit »

Thanks for the reply Didier, I am able to boot the OS properly with dd command. It seems that the problem was with unetbootin only. Another issue is coming in the OS i.e touchpad and keyboard are not working.

The touchpad of the laptop is not moving at all and also OS is not reflecting while pressing any key.

Hardware info:

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 08)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 520 (rev 07)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Skylake Processor Thermal Subsystem (rev 08)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 21)
00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem (rev 21)
00:15.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 21)
00:15.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 21)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI #1 (rev 21)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 21)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev f1)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #6 (rev f1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 21)
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC (rev 21)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus (rev 21)
01:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 07)
Is it some hardware compatibility issue?
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

At boot time SalixLive try to find a usb labeled "LIVE".
Unetbootin name the usb Label differently, so booting fails. Edit the menus on usb and add there the parameter medialabel="what_label_is_your_usb_named". e.g append initrd=/boot/initrd.gz max_loop=255 vga=791 locale=en_US.utf8 keymap=us useswap=yes copy2ram=no tz=Etc/GMT hwc=localtime runlevel=4 medialabel=whatever (Replace whatever with your usb label name)
Then salix live will be found and will boot.
I have added this parameter for people who create live usb with Unetbootin or other programs.