Disabling persistence

Sunday

Disabling persistence

Post by Sunday »

I have used the persistence function to adjust some settings to how I prefer them to be. I would now like to boot using the persistent file that I have made, but I do not want any further changes to be saved. On every boot I would like the settings to revert to what I have set them to in the persistent file. How can this be done?
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Disabling persistence

Post by djemos »

Sunday wrote: 26. Aug 2018, 18:47 I have used the persistence function to adjust some settings to how I prefer them to be. I would now like to boot using the persistent file that I have made, but I do not want any further changes to be saved.
Read the README file for details.

Booting with parameter changes=persistent the whole system changes are stored in the persistent file
Booting with parameter home=home only the changes for user one are stored in the persistent file. For example if you install or upgrade a package in next reboot changes will be lost. Only what is under /home/one are stored in persistent file.

This can be done with persistent file:
You can create a persistent file (its name is always persistent). Then rename it to e.g. home
Create again a persistent file for whole system. So you can boot with the parameter changes=persistent option from menus to store changes for whole system or boot by changing the parameter changes=persistent to home=home to store only changes for user one
So if you only want to make changes only for the user one e.g. desktop wallpaper and keep the rest changes as they are then use home=home parameter.

If you use the ext3 filesystem for usb then you can either create a persistent file or if you did not create a persistent file booting with parameter home=home a directory home will be created where changes for user one will be stored.
Booting with parameter changes=persistent a directory persistent will be created. In this case a directory and not a persistent file is used to store the changes.
Encryption is not supported if you use a directory.
Also never create the home or persistent directory by hand it will not work.
On every boot I would like the settings to revert to what I have set them to in the persistent file. How can this be done?
Use the home=home parameter and a persistent file named home or home=whatever_is_the_name_of_persistent_file for a fat32 or ext3 formatted usb
or home=home without to create a persistent file and use a directory for an ext3 formatted usb.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Would it work to simply make the persistent file read-only once set up as desired?

Code: Select all

chmod -w persistent
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

No. Init remount it rw. I have checked it.
I make it readonly, I booted with persistent and create a file in desktop and then reboot again and file was there.