Salix Live on USB [SOLVED]

crabs

Salix Live on USB [SOLVED]

Post by crabs »

Hello,

I apologize for my English, french people is behind the keyboard...

Today I download the last ISO for SalixLive and put it on an USB pen drive (Patriot XPorter XT Boost 8go) with the "install-on-USB" tool provided. For this I use Slackware 13.0 with the extra grub package. I do this in 4 steps :
- format the key with mkdosfs command (mkdosfs -F 32 -n "SALIXLIVE" /dev/sdb1)
- run for a first time install-from-USB from the "loop mount" of the downloaded ISO file)
- unplug the pen drive, plug and mount (for the post MBR gap)
- re-run install-from-USB

I plug the pen drive on a Acer Aspire 1700 laptop, boot on the key and the boot stop on the "grub prompt". After some search, it's the first time I use grub, it seems that a config file is missing (like menu.lst ?). Where can I found some useful informations for complete the
installation and run "SalixLive" from an USB pen drive ?

Some other useful information : with the same pen drive no problems for booting Slax 6.1.2 installed on fat file system with syslinux on the same laptop. I'll try to put Xubuntu on the same pen drive, during the boot grub is ok but Xubuntu don't start (only busybox shell).

Anything I can do?
Thank you for any hint,
Crabs
Last edited by crabs on 8. May 2010, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
..., I think Slackware sounds better than 'Microsoft,'
--Patrick Volkerding - founder and maintainer of Slackware--

Le monde de crabs
crabs

Re: Salix Live on USB

Post by crabs »

Hello,

After some research, I found a reason for the troubleshooting : the grub provided by Slackware (0.97) on the extra repository was not "grub2". The tools "bootinst.sh" and "install-on-USB" detects a valid "grub2" during their execution, is it a bug ?

After the installation of grub2 (grub release 1.98) on my Slackware Linux Box and the execution of the grub-install command found in the install-to-USB script, I can boot from the USB pen drive on the ACER laptop.

Le monde de crabs
Shador

Re: Salix Live on USB [SOLVED]

Post by Shador »

Yes, it seems like the script is missing a check which grub version is installed.
Could you help solving this issue by running

Code: Select all

grub-install -v
with grub legacy (i.e. 0.*) installed.

PS: Optionally to install, you could have used the bootinst.sh script to install grub2 to the pendrive on the first boot of it.
crabs

Re: Salix Live on USB [SOLVED]

Post by crabs »

The result with grub legacy on my Slackware 13.0 Linux Box :

Code: Select all

root@r500-1:~# grub-install -v
grub-install (GNU GRUB 0.97)
When I use "bootinst.sh" with this USB pen drive on the Acer 1700, I got only a blank screen and no boot processes. I have some problem with the BIOS of this laptop, lot of "Linux Pen Drive" can't boot with syslinux (only SLAX can with no problem in my previously test). No problem since I test Linux Pen Drive with LILO.

Le monde de crabs