install-on-USB bug ?

crabs

install-on-USB bug ?

Post by crabs »

Hi,

I use install-on-USB provided with salixlive-13.0.iso (downloaded Friday May the 8th). I should run twice the script before the USB drive can boot and I have the following message after each successfully execution (with fr_FR@euro on Slackware 13.0 box) :

Code: Select all

Installation finished. No error reported.
umount: /tmp/tmp.j4fRWt: n'a pas été trouvé
I look into the script "install-on-USB version 1.2" and I find this :
+ grub-install is launched before the files of the ISO are copied to the USB disk
+ the last exit run the commands programmed with trap instruction
After see this, I just launch the grub-install after the execution of the script, and the USB drive can boot my laptop. I do nothing for the trap messages, it is just a message...
..., I think Slackware sounds better than 'Microsoft,'
--Patrick Volkerding - founder and maintainer of Slackware--

Le monde de crabs
JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: install-on-USB bug ?

Post by JRD »

Yes, the trap message about a missing folder could be safely ignored. This script is not well written, sorry (I'm the responsible for this).
About grub-install, are you sure you installed grub2 and not grub ? My script didn't detect explicitly grub2, so if you have installed grub1 instead, it will not tell you.
Shador

Post by Shador »

I've changed it to check for grub2 and will commit that change this afternoon unless you already were faster. :)
I can add a redirection to null to if you don't mind.
crabs

Post by crabs »

JRD wrote:About grub-install, are you sure you installed grub2 and not grub ? My script didn't detect explicitly grub2, so if you have installed grub1 instead, it will not tell you.
On this post http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 90&start=0, I was confronted with the problem of grub release, and before the use of install-on-USB (for this post) I install grub2 (1.97) on my Slackware 13.0 Linux box.
I modified the script before opening this case and launch it for install the SalixLive on 2"1/2 external USB drive : move grub-install after cp.

Tips for trap :
1) use "ERR" as trapped signal :
- modify the trap command to catch ERR and execute exit at last command
- remove all '|| exit ...' after commands who can signal an error (non-zero exit status after the trap instruction), otherwise the signal isn't sent, || and && catch it.
2) reset trap command :
- reset the signals with '-' as command before the last exit. The 'true' command can replace the null command '-' to improve shells compatibility.

Crabs

Le monde de crabs
Shador

Post by Shador »

If you want you can test the latest version (of install-on-USB and bootinst.sh) available here: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/salix/ ... live/trunk
Thanks for your suggestions.
crabs

Post by crabs »

Hi

I do the following tests this morning, the working context :
- extract files form the ISO image on the hard drive and install the new 'install-on-USB' in the 'boot' sub-directory
- each time I ran 'install-on-USB', I do a :

cd extract-of-salixlive/boot
./install-on-USB absolute-path-to-salixlive.iso /dev/sdX1
- I do this test with a USB-SATA 2"1/2 drive : first partition 32G formated with mkdosfs

On slackware 13.0 linux with GRUB 1.98 :
- re-format the first partition of the USB drive
- run install-on-USB as describe below
- during the boot on the USB drive, grub stop with "grub_getcharwidth not found"
- reboot Slackware 13.0, and rerun "grub-install" with same CLI and same working directory than used by install-on-USB
- try to boot on the USB drive : OK with no splash screen

I Install Salix 13.0.2a on other partition on the same laptop (delete old Slackware 12.2 installation) and do :
- re-format the format the first partition of the USB drive
- run install-on-USB as describe in the top of my message
- try to boot on the USB drive : OK with spash screen (great job)

I do the same work : install SaliLive on my patriot usb pen drive with Salix installation, and good result : boot at the first time with splash screen.

Just for fun, here the time for startup of different Linux
- Slackware 13.0 on internal hard drive (Apache and mysql started, XDM login) : 46s
- Salix 13.0.2a on internal hard drive (GDM login) : 35s
- Salixlive on USB SATA external drive (500Gb, 5200RPM) : 1min 30
- Salixlive on Patriot XT : 1min 10

Crabs

Le monde de crabs
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

crabs wrote:

./install-on-USB absolute-path-to-salixlive.iso /dev/sdX1
The correct syntax is :

./install-on-USB absolute-path-to-salixlive.iso /media/myUSBmountPoint
Thanks for the stats !!
crabs

Post by crabs »

I use the correct syntax when I do the test, /dev/sdX1 is used with mkdosfs and /dev/sdX when I re-ran grub-install on Slackware. It's a mistake when I write the post :oops:
I will try to use the packaging script used by Salix for building grub2 with the last grub release on Slackware, and make new test.

Le monde de crabs
Shador

Post by Shador »

Here's a 1.98 package I did. It should be working fine, but I did not push it to the mirrors yet:
http://gaia.homelinux.org/salix/packages/grub2/1.98/
http://gaia.homelinux.org/salix/package ... rub2/1.98/
crabs wrote: On slackware 13.0 linux with GRUB 1.98 :
- re-format the first partition of the USB drive
- run install-on-USB as describe below
- during the boot on the USB drive, grub stop with "grub_getcharwidth not found"
- reboot Slackware 13.0, and rerun "grub-install" with same CLI and same working directory than used by install-on-USB
- try to boot on the USB drive : OK with no splash screen
This sounds weird. But it could be some incompatibility between grub 1.97.x and 1.98. Anyway, I plan to move forward to grub 1.98 as bootloader for SalixLive as that will finally give us gettext support.
The new gfxmenu could also be a fine addition.
crabs

Post by crabs »

Hi,

I use the build script provided by SALIX for build the both releases of grub2 (1.97.2 and 1.98) on the Slackware 13.0 Linux Box. I try the both releases (reset the salixlive partition before all run with mkdosfs) :
- 1.97.2 release : boot with splash screen
- 1.98 release : no boot with grub error 'grub_getcharwidth ...", remount the drive on my slackware box and manually run grub-install, try to reboot, ok with no splash screen.

I ran "grub-install" after booting on SalixLive USB pen drive created with grub 1.98, and during the next boot on the USB pen drive, the splash screen is displayed. On my laptop, the USB pen drive is shown as /dev/sdb, the following commands are launched as root :

cd /mnt/sdb1/boot
grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/sdb1 /dev/sdb
If I boot from a SalixLive CDROM, could I run directly install-on-USB with the block device of CD-ROM reader as "absolute path for the ISO" ? (no CD at my home to make the try :( )

Crabs

Le monde de crabs