codecs question...

lory

codecs question...

Post by lory »

it is great that there is an installer for codecs, but is this legal to plug them onto the live cd?
I think in Salix the installer will first download the codecs after clicking on "install codecs" but the live cd already includes all needed codecs, without download them from a site. Could anybody please tell me more about this?
Shador

Re: codecs question...

Post by Shador »

No, not that I knew of. I just checked the package lists of SalixLive and couldn't find anywhere those codecs. Look for yourself (the packages-* files): http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/salix/ ... live/trunk

However, we would have liked to distribute SalixLive in a way that enables codec installation without having to download them from the internet. But due to sourceforge's policy this wasn't possible.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

There are no restricted codecs in the live CD, unless you install them yourself. Where did you see that?
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Maybe you have a slxsave.xfs file around that has been used and that contains already installed codecs.
lory

Post by lory »

ermm... you are right, i am really sorry.
I started the install codecs script and the installer did not show any error, so i
thought everything's ok.
It is a stand-alone pc without (W)LAN so there could not be any network connection.
I wondered why it does not show any error, it finished with "codecs installed".
But after trying a mp3 for example it did not work - so no codecs installed, but
maybe an installer bug. Maybe it is already fixed, because i used an older RC
of the live cd.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Yes, that's already fixed in 13.1beta. The message was wrong.
lory

Post by lory »

sorry for creating panic :oops: ;)