Salix Wizard

Re: problem installing from live cd 13.0

Post by gapan »

mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

That did the trick, thank you!

Please do still let me know if you would like me to try out any fixes for the installer, though - I can make a dummy partition for it to practise installing itself on. Is this a problem that most people would have, or the result of some quite specific feature of my setup?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

It's probably something specific to your setup. And it would be great if you could still help with determining what the problem is.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

It's the least I can do. I need to live with Salix for a while to really get to know it ("eat a kilo of salt" with it, as people say here in Brazil), but so far it seems to have everything I want in a distro - the perfect combination of simplicity (KISS), usability out of the box, lightweight, and an elegant design that is a pleasure to work on. It also happens to have my preferred work apps already installed - OpenOffice and Firefox, with straightforward install of Flash etc. As a relative newcomer to Linux I can use it without problems, but also without patronising limitations ("nannying" as we say in England) if I want to fiddle with the works a bit. And the forum support has been great :)
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

mimosa,

Sorry for the delay in replying, at the moment I'm pretty much constantly on the road for professional reason & won't be able to resume work on the installer until sometimes next week.

However, since you have salixlive running out of a usb key, I suppose you are using persistence, are you?
If you do, the ideal would be for you to upgrade the package salixtools:

Code: Select all

slapt-get -i salixtools
that way you will be able to use the very last version of the installer & check if it works for you or not. You can download it here: http://people.salixos.org/akuna/livetoo ... h-1plb.txz

Simply install it with installpkg:

installpkg /path/to/salix-live-installer-0.2-noarch-1plb.txz
If the bug you described is still a problem with this last version of the installer, I will definitely need your help & feedback when I'll be back working on it. Thank you very much for your offer. :)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Salix Live is telling me this:

root[one]# installpkg /home/one/Download/salix-live-installer-0.2-noarch-1plb.txz
Skipping package salix-live-installer-0.2-noarch-1plb (package with same base name is already installed)...
root[one]# 
And it's not because of persistence - I have actually installed Salix (13.0.2.a) using Unetbootin, but tried following your instructions in a live session.

Slapt-get asked me to

slapt-get --update
first, don't know if that is relevant:

Reading Package Lists... Failed to open package_data
package_data: No such file or directory
Perhaps you want to run --update?
root[one]# slapt-get --update
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

The package is already installed, so you can't install it again. Do this instead:

upgradepkg /home/one/Download/salix-live-installer-0.2-noarch-1plb.txz
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

That still hasn`t done it

root[one]# salix-live-installer.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/salix-live-installer.py", line 1542, in on_confirm_button_clicked
    self.WindowsPartitionListStore.append(set)
ValueError: row sequence has wrong length
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/salix-live-installer.py", line 1515, in on_confirm_button_clicked
    self.LinuxPartitionListStore.append(set)
ValueError: row sequence has wrong length
root[one]# 
... however one thing that did improve is both Gparted and the installer can now see my new partitions, and Gparted no longer cycles through the partitions it can see complaining that it can`t mount them. This changed before I did the upgrade and so on, though. A previous trial with the installer somehow destroyed some aspect of grub, and the only way I could get it back was by installing Ubuntu 9.04 (because still Grub legacy which I find easier than Grub 2) to one of my swap partitions during the course of which it ran grub-update or possibly install-grub. I couldn`t do this within my existing Ubuntu 10.04 installation.

I`m beginning to wonder if the cause of the installer problem in Salix could be my rather exotic partition arrangements. Even if that is so, an installer should be able to cope. People who are installing distros just to try them out are an important target audience - you want them to keep yours.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Great, thanks for the feed back. I'll have a new version for you to test in a couple days or so... ;)

And yes, the installer should be able to cope with your 'exotic' setup, which is why your feedback is so valuable.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

mimosa,

One more thing, could you please give me the output of:

parted /dev/sda print
tx