Installing Salix OS on a USB flash drive?

Maximilian

Re: Installing Salix OS on a USB flash drive?

Post by Maximilian »

You'll find the needed instructions for setting up a USB key on Salix Startup Guide: http://salix.enialis.net/i486/live-13.0 ... ide-en.pdf (the very last chapter on page 37)
Thank you again. Everything that pertains to the USB drive in that most helpful guide I already have working. But looking around on forums here and there I run across recommendations to make two partitions on the drive, one for the live OS, the other for storing files. I suppose this is not necessary, after all.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Maximilian wrote:I suppose this is not necessary, after all.
Indeed, it isn't.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

I have placed the persistent file, slxsave.xfs, on the USB drive, and everything works like a charm. I really think that your distro is the best one around, so far I have been immensely impressed with it. Just one more question before I let you guys get back to more important things. Is there a recommended size for the persistent file? The file appears to be fixed size. So if one keeps making changes to the settings and trying to save them, does it mean that the persistent file would get full at some point? Thanks a lot.
Shador

Post by Shador »

The persistent file is only some kind of container file. It's created with a fixed size, used as a "regular" partition and formatted with a normal filesystem (xfs, I think).
So you should be able to grew the file by appending zeroes to the end of the file without truncating the rest. Then a resize of the underlying fs should make that space available.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Maximilian wrote:Is there a recommended size for the persistent file? The file appears to be fixed size. So if one keeps making changes to the settings and trying to save them, does it mean that the persistent file would get full at some point? Thanks a lot.
Indeed it will. But in any case you most probably will be limited by the size of your USB key. So why not make it as big as you reasonably can within the available space you have left once SalixLive is on the key.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

You could save yourself a lot of grief and just use extlinux; especially since v4.00 provides ext4 support. I'm even considering this for my main system.

IMO Lilo doesn't provide enough control (from the boot prompt), grub needs patching to oblivion these days and grub2 has thrown the KISS philosophy out the window!