The Jockey project

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
zAchAry

The Jockey project

Post by zAchAry »

If you'll ask me for the truth about why I started up with Ubuntu, I'll say that it is because they, Canonical, (or it was just a general feeling in the air, that Canonical) is supporting almost all of the wireless drivers around.

Since I knew nothing about GNU/Linux, I preferred to start with a distro that can work the best as there is "out of the box", and to be quite honest, Ubuntu 8.10 did very well comparing to Windows-Vista and Windows-XP.

As far as I researched, the Jokey project is (relatively, of course) not too hard to implement, correct me if I'm wrong. and, it is a shame that Canonical isn't opening a website or a deep discussion about this project.

Would you, the SalixOS team, like to get Jokey in (with its proprietary drivers, if there are no open alternatives)
+ make Jokey delete itself like "Install multimedia codecs"

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/jockey-gtk
https://launchpad.net/jockey

You can also make a project that can list the drivers on a current computer machine, by existing commands/scripts, and will present to the user the drivers that can be installed to make use of the hardware.

Linux Wireless Chipset Detector [Linux Laptop Wiki]
http://www.linlap.com/wiki/Linux+Wirele ... t+Detector
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
damNageHack

Re: The Jockey project

Post by damNageHack »

As you can see, jockey-gtk depends on synaptic. Salix uses slapt-get / gslapt as the main package management tool. I am not sure, if that can be tweaked and how, we have to provide our own patches then for this.
But the idea behind jockey is great.

EDIT:
From the README.txt
Adapting Jockey to a Linux distribution
---------------------------------------

Jockey is carefully written to not be specific to any Linux
distribution. All OS/distro specific operations are encapsulated in
the "OSLib" class, which needs to be subclassed and implemented by the
Linux distributions. Most methods already have a reasonable default
implementation upstream, but some are just inherently distro specific
(search for "NotImplementedError" to find those).

This minimizes the porting efforts of distributors while retaining the
possibility to make adjustments in one central place.

The abstract OSLib class is thoroughly documented, and there already
exists a branch for Ubuntu[3], and the test suite has a dummy
implementation (see tests/sandbox.py). These should suffice to
implement Jockey for other distributions as well.
If you ask me, it is not worth the effort to implement our own class here. There are other great ways of giving support for some usage of uncommon drivers. ;)
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.