Is GNOME a possibility?

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: Is GNOME a possibility?

Post by Akuna »

damNageHack wrote:@Akuna
Please do not take it personally, make peace not war. ;)
This ramble is totally irrelevant. Do not speak in the name of Salix developers. Period!
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
DavidMcCann

Post by DavidMcCann »

On the subject of installing Gnome from the Slackbuilds repository, I think the warning in the Salix Wiki can't be emphasised too strongly: that stuff is trouble!

I tried to use it to install Evolution. The dependency resolution was only partially successful, and even after installing files manually I still couldn't get a working program. Today, I tried installing Gnucash, which is of course available in the Salix repository. I couldn't get that to work until I'd removed all the library files left over from Slackbuilds and replaced them with the Salix ones. I was getting "undefined symbol" error messages from all of them!

I like Gnome, but I think Xfce is a good substitute. The only Gnome program I can think of with no possible substitute is Gnucash, and we've got it.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Dozens of libs are replaced/upgraded with this gnome repo, so it's quite normal that it may break a lot of Salix packages.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
lmello

Post by lmello »

gapan wrote:Gnome is not a dependency hell and building it is not horrible. :D It just needs a lot of work to do it. I don't think building KDE is any easier.

I personally like gnome. A lot. And I would love to have a gnome edition in salix, but there are only two ways in order for salix to have a gnome edition:
1. Stick with a really old version of gnome, or
2. Become incompatible with slackware
none of which is desirable. So, the answer is no, it's not really a possibility.
I also like gnome, and understand the situation but... what about Slackware/Salix-current? Could gnome become a possibility in 13.2?
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

...having to use an old version of Gnome or Salix becoming incompatible with Slackware is something that is not desirable.
I'm not really bothered about bleeding edge so-long-as it works so whats the issue with building an older version of gnome?
lmello

Post by lmello »

pwatk wrote:
...having to use an old version of Gnome or Salix becoming incompatible with Slackware is something that is not desirable.
I'm not really bothered about bleeding edge so-long-as it works so whats the issue with building an older version of gnome?
Neither do I. Besides, some older GNOME versions are better than others - I didn't like the jump from 2.28 to 2.30, for example.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I do agree with pwatk and lmello, if there were to be a Gnome version. Personally, though, I am perfectly content with xfce, and I bet it is faster than any Gnome would be. It sounds as though doing it would be quite a resource-intensive project.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Xfce is the new Gnome :mrgreen: :twisted:
lmello

Post by lmello »

mimosa wrote:I do agree with pwatk and lmello, if there were to be a Gnome version. Personally, though, I am perfectly content with xfce, and I bet it is faster than any Gnome would be. It sounds as though doing it would be quite a resource-intensive project.
I'd prefer a GNOME version of Salix instead of XFCE, even though I like XFCE a lot, despite all of its bugs. ;)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Everybody can feel free to package Gnome and we'll happily put it to our repo ;)