Quodlibet instead of Exaile

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
pevsner

Re: Quodlibet instead of Exaile

Post by pevsner »

Yep trusty xmms is a top app. Lxmusic is pretty good too and sits in the system tray of lxpanel or tint2.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

I don't like the UI of Quodlibet. IMHO Exaile is much better to use. Instead of making Quodlibet the default I'd rather add Qt to all versions and use Clementine, which is much faster than Exaile.

PS: XMMS does not support UTF-8.
PPS: mpd rules them all :D
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
schlawi54

Post by schlawi54 »

quodlibet is dependency hell, clementine is even worser. I stick with smplayer, one player for all formats.
"Besides, I think Slackware sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you?" (By Patrick Volkerding)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

MPlayer does not have a music library, which nowadays is a must have for a music player for me (I've been a long time XMMS user years ago).
What makes you think these players are dependency hell? They just need GStreamer and it's plugins and it's available on the ISO for free codecs.
schlawi54

Post by schlawi54 »

thenktor wrote:MPlayer does not have a music library
Raw MPlayer has no usable GUI. I am talking about SMPlayer in combination with Streamtuner2 (or just Streamtuner1 that never reached v1.0 as it seems with 0.99.99 *troll*) - as already written.
I don't know if SMPlayer supports bookmarks itself, but Streamtuner2 does. If you have a large music library on your hard disk, probably something like Quodlibet, Exaile or Clementine is the better choice, alright then.
thenktor wrote:What makes you think these players are dependency hell? They just need GStreamer and it's plugins and it's available on the ISO for free codecs.
Right. I have tried to install those players with another distribution and seen that there are some additional libraries dependent that are not needed for something else here on my system. GStreamer is alright, though Audacious in that case doesn't work with the gstreamer "bad" and "ugly" plugins.
"Besides, I think Slackware sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you?" (By Patrick Volkerding)
lmello

Post by lmello »

thenktor wrote:I don't like the UI of Quodlibet. IMHO Exaile is much better to use. Instead of making Quodlibet the default I'd rather add Qt to all versions and use Clementine, which is much faster than Exaile.

PS: XMMS does not support UTF-8.
PPS: mpd rules them all :D
Does Clementine use gstreamer ?

BTW, mpd + mpc/ario is awesome also.
solar

Post by solar »

I don't like the UI of Quodlibet. IMHO Exaile is much better to use. Instead of making Quodlibet the default I'd rather add Qt to all versions and use Clementine, which is much faster than Exaile.
But, please, leave the possibility of basic(without any multimedia software) installation on Salix installer. ))

Btw, take a look at this piece of software http://www.foobnix.com/?lang=en I use it on Debian and it is really great player.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

lmello wrote:Does Clementine use gstreamer ?
Yes
lmello wrote:BTW, mpd + mpc/ario is awesome also.
I'm using GMPC as mpd GUI.

PS: I'll test foobnix this week.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Waou, foobnix seems to be foobar for unix !
I loved foobar. If it's the same type of application, that could be a good one for me :)

Seems like a sound player is something that is really personnal and different from people to people. More than a DE.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Does Foobnix support last.fm scrobbling and ReplayGain?