Include Wicd and/or Tar in basic...

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
Robert

Include Wicd and/or Tar in basic...

Post by Robert »

Hello:

I am a newbie so if this doesn't make sense, just delete it.

I think that the 'basic' install should include Wicd or at least Tar so that Wicd could be installed from the 'full' directory of the CD.

Rob.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Include Wicd and/or Tar in basic...

Post by mimosa »

If I remember correctly, it isn't even in 'Core' :lol: I suppose the idea is you might want to choose something else instead; and I believe even wicd comes with quite a few libraries in tow. I've never tried Basic, but I bet it includes the tools to configure the network manually.
Robert

Post by Robert »

mimosa wrote:... I suppose the idea is you might want to choose something else instead... but I bet it includes the tools to configure the network manually.
Configuring wireless, even wired, is beyond my newbie capabilities!

I had to install 'full' so that I could get my laptop 'wirelessly' onto the net even thought the concept of 'basic' appealed to me.

It's a 'wireless world' out there! :)

Rob.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Full may be the best bet. Core appealed to me for the same reason, and the absence of wicd was a surprise. If your wireless doesn't have any nasty tricks up its sleeve, though, manual configuration is more a chore than a challenge, once you have the right information. That's made harder because much online info covers the harder cases, and also even the common cases vary. I'm learning a bit by playing with Arch linux, which is minimalist like Slackware, but with documentation I find more accessible. But Slackware is notriously stable ... and in the form of Salix, it has already been tweaked very nearly to perfection.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

First of all, tar is included in basic mode of course and also in core. Secondly, you don't use tar to install packages.

And wicd will not go in basic. Basic is meant to have as few extra packages as possible and if wicd was to be installed, then all assorted wireless packages and drivers should have to go with it. Which would be of completely no use for someone with only a wired connection. And basic mode is meant for use by advanced users, not newbies. If you're a newbie, go with full.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

Just a hint but you could always install Wicd and any required firmware packages from the CD after completing a Basic installation.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Robert wrote:I had to install 'full' so that I could get my laptop 'wirelessly'
That's simple and no problem at all :P
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)