ibus and co, mozc for the future inclusion of Salix 13.2?

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
tsuren

ibus and co, mozc for the future inclusion of Salix 13.2?

Post by tsuren »

This could be a possible replacement of SCIM.

http://code.google.com/p/ibus/

cheers :)
'Tommorow is like today, just happens tomorrow.'
zAchAry

Re: ibus and ibus-anthy

Post by zAchAry »

Have you tested this software already?
Is it faster than SCIM? :roll:

SCIM is slow as hell for me when launching more than
five applications (especially when Firefox is running) :(
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
tsuren

Re: ibus and ibus-anthy

Post by tsuren »

yes, right now i am using ibus. it's replaced SCIM for some months now. Honestly, I cannot say if it is better or not. It works faster on firefox for sure, but has some problem with mousepad for some strange reason. When i am happy with ibus, i will package it officially and push for the iso replacement with SCIM.
tsuren

Re: ibus and co, mozc for the future inclusion of Salix 13.2

Post by tsuren »

I have packaged, mozc, ibus, ibus-hangul, libhangul (to the latest version, as what is on Slack is very old), ibus-m17n (which allows the inputs from almost every language on the planet), ibus-qt (for qt use). Apart from mozc, all the ibus sets are now put to the package approval in the repo.

It's been know for a while that SCIM and Anthy are dead projects, and especially in the case of SCIM, it is starting to show its age (e.g. preventing applications to load up quicker).

I have running with ibus, mozc system for some time now. It is stable, and I see they can be clear replacements for SCIM and anthy.

There are still some minor points to resolve.

1) I am having some trouble running ibus-pinyin on my system, as I do not know which library dep it uses for running the application.

2) mozc package comes with mozc, ibus-mozc and mozc-tool (i disabled emac support). The mozc server and ibus-mozc can be run without qt, but mozc-tool requires qt as dep. If we are to include mozc in the iso, one option is to separate mozc-tool from the rest, and make it optional to those who are interested in.

Another option is to keep anthy as the IM lib for ibus (hence mozc is in the extra repo), and to have ibus, anthy, ibus-m17-n for supporting multilingual inputs.

What do you think?