where is the none kernel hacker ( newbie) section

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
luddite

where is the none kernel hacker ( newbie) section

Post by luddite »

hi

where is the newbie section for raving luddites like me , I hope your not going to say salix like slackware is for experts only

i haven't installed salix linux yet

I put a post to slackware users world wide on linkedin.com recently about Zenwalk & it being 99 percent compatible with Slackware. They mentioned salix linux & one reason it started was because the aim was to be 100 percent compatible with slackware.

Now had a quick look at FAQ and it appears to say slackware users can use repo of salix, but salix users can not use packages for slackware. One reason for using salix would be to go to linux.org & get the packages I want.
laplume
Donor

Re: where is the none kernel hacker ( newbie) section

Post by laplume »

Hello luddite and welcome to Salix,

I am absolutely no tech so I will try to answer to your post quite as a newbie.
Briefly, Salix is made to offer a more user-friendly approach for a Slackware based distro. It is designed especially for desktop usage and benefits of Salix' own repository as well as special Slackware repositories which offer dependency support. A list of them can be found at http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/R ... ry_mirrors
and some of them are already included in the repositories list of Gslapt (the front end for slapt-get, package manager used by Salix; if you have used Debian-based os before the usage will be then quite familiar).
As far as I know Salix can handle packages designed for Slackware (generally named as .tgz or .txz) and in case some repositories may be added to the ones already listed in Gslapt (keep in mind that only the official repos have dependency support so in some cases you will have to recover dependancies before installing a new package). Personally I only have added the repo of an italian Slackware community at www.slacky.eu.
Anyway with Salix 13.37 a new tool called Sourcery has been designed to retreive and compile packages from sources using the scripts of www.slackbuilds.org. This should cover most users' needs.

Hope this is of help, enjoy your Salix experience.
Antonio
luddite

Post by luddite »

laplume

much appreciate reply, I have previously used Mepis,ubuntu,antix, Zenwalk & tried slackware .

Slackware users world wide on linkedin suggested salixos as an intro into slackware. tried the live edition so far
will give full install a go, and see how it goes

many thanks
laplume
Donor

Post by laplume »

Hello,
If you have already used Mepis and ubuntu you are likely to have no difficulties using Gslapt as a package manager. Moreover with Sourcery you may install many other packages.
Live Cd is always the best way to verify if the hardware of your machine is detected out of the box. Personally, I am using Salix 13.0 version with xfce from quite a long time and I am very happy with it. For desktop use it's one of the best distros I have tried so far.

Regards,
T_Hobbit

Post by T_Hobbit »

I tryed plenty of Linux distros. RH, Fedora, Ubuntu, Linpus, Puppy, Slitax, DSL, TCL, just to say the most known ones.
My favourite flavor always went for Slack based, but Slackware only tryed once. Vector first, Minislack/Zenwalk after, Slax sometimes, now Salix.
So far has GUI for every admin task, all the major applications OFTB or thru repositories and the most important WM today. Light and easy to install.
So... IMO this is actualy the best distro to try: easy to install, light and complete.