SITE Suggestions/Issues

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
Dig_Res

SITE Suggestions/Issues

Post by Dig_Res »

Hello,

After just making my first post, I have the following comments and suggestions:

1.) It occured to me that the question I had posted as a reply to an existing (related) thread might be better made separately, as a new post. So I looked for an appropriate section but could not find one, as I was not reporting a problem or bug nor making a suggestion but merely asking a question.

Shouldn't there be a section just for questions (that are not necessarily problems or bugs) about the OS?

2.) Similarly, before making this post, here, I looked to see if there was a section specifically for questions/issues/suggestions with the site itself and, again, did not find one.

Would it not also be a good idea to add such a section to the forum?

3.) Finally, perhaps some noticed the munged URL at the end of my previous post. I had actually pasted the full URL normally when I first submitted my post, only to receive an error message that I could not post a URL before having made at least three posts.

Now, please understand that I have no argument with this actual restriction itself. It certainly makes sense as an anti-spam measure.

But shouldn't people at least be warned about this restriction in advance?

There is no mention of it in either the TOS that one must agree to in order to register or the site FAQ.

I'm sure people can understand the feeling of having gone to the trouble of composing and submitting a post in good faith, only to have it met with such an error message. It's like a slap in the face-- as far as I'm sure that is from the intentions of any of you.

I hope my feedback will be considered in the constructive manner it was intended.

My appreciation to all who have put their efforts into this distro and best wishes for success,

Digital Resistance
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." ~ C.P. Scott
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: SITE Suggestions/Issues

Post by thenktor »

Dig_Res wrote:Shouldn't there be a section just for questions (that are not necessarily problems or bugs) about the OS?
Perhaps we can rename the "Problems" section in "Questions & problems". I don't think we really have to make an own section for it. There are not that much daily new posts that would require this.
Dig_Res wrote:2.) Similarly, before making this post, here, I looked to see if there was a section specifically for questions/issues/suggestions with the site itself and, again, did not find one.
Same as point 1: I don't think we need separate sections for now.
Dig_Res wrote:3.) Finally, perhaps some noticed the munged URL at the end of my previous post. I had actually pasted the full URL normally when I first submitted my post, only to receive an error message that I could not post a URL before having made at least three posts.
This is a must have. Nothing is more annoying than fighting spam again and again. If that message appears you can just go back and edit the post. But yes, we can think about a warning, even if I'm quite sure that nobody will read it at all ;)
Dig_Res wrote:I hope my feedback will be considered in the constructive manner it was intended.
Feedback is nice and everything can be discussed. Let's see what others think about it :)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Shador

Post by Shador »

In my opinion questions belong either into Suggestions or Problems, depending on the kind of question. Or if your uncertain or it doesn't fit any, I'm hereby advertising an incredible, free one-fits-them-all offer, named "Misc". ;) Of course one should try to use the best matching category nevertheless and that's not necessarily Misc.
Dig_Res

Post by Dig_Res »

thenktor wrote:Perhaps we can rename the "Problems" section in "Questions & problems".
Sounds good to me.
Dig_Res wrote:2.) Similarly, before making this post, here, I looked to see if there was a section specifically for questions/issues/suggestions with the site itself and, again, did not find one.
thenktor wrote:Same as point 1: I don't think we need separate sections for now.
Okay then. I understand.

Perhaps, though, you might want to consider changing the description of the section to include what I added below in bold-text:

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix (or the web site/ forums), here's the place to post them.
Dig_Res wrote:3.) Finally, perhaps some noticed the munged URL at the end of my previous post. I had actually pasted the full URL normally when I first submitted my post, only to receive an error message that I could not post a URL before having made at least three posts.
thenktor wrote:This is a must have. Nothing is more annoying than fighting spam again and again.
I certainly understand; as I wrote,
Now, please understand that I have no argument with this actual restriction itself. It certainly makes sense as an anti-spam measure.
thenktor wrote:If that message appears you can just go back and edit the post.
I know but sometimes one can lose the post that way. Fortunately, that didn't happen to me this time but it has in the past. (I do try to compose and save any post that I expect to be of any length in text a editor before submitting and I recommend this to others as well. But many times, for one reason or another, it doesn't quite work out this way in practice. Posts often become much longer and more complicated in the course of working on them than I ever expected when I began.)
But yes, we can think about a warning, even if I'm quite sure that nobody will read it at all ;)

It still seems only proper to note the policy in the TOS and/or FAQ- at least in one of the two and preferably in both. If it's prominently and clearly stated and people still don't bother reading it, then they have only themselves to blame.
Dig_Res wrote:I hope my feedback will be considered in the constructive manner it was intended.
thenktor wrote:Feedback is nice and everything can be discussed. Let's see what others think about it :)
Thank you for the thoughtful, considerate and friendly response and attitude. It is much appreciated.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." ~ C.P. Scott