Salt cheatcodes

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
ikke

Salt cheatcodes

Post by ikke »

Salt is very 'prometteur'. JRD has done a very nice job. But guess Salt is still under development.

Wondering if cmdline parameters to tweak the boot/distro can be added.

Would suggest to add the following cheatcode : 'from=' or 'fromdir=' followed by the name of a directory. This directory should then contain (in case of the salix-xfce-13.37-32-beta) the "salix-xfce-13.37-32-beta-20110823-1135.live"-file and the salixlive/modules directories and other stuff.

The reason being that then it would be possible to install several Salixlive versions with different windowmanagers on the same usb stick (eg '/dev/sdc1');
eg :
from=/dev/sdc1/salix_xfce
form=/dev/sdc1/salix_lxde
from=/dev/sdc1/salix_fluxbox
from=/dev/sdc1/salix_kde

The advantage being also that in each directory specific modules might be added in the /dev/sdc1/salix_.../salixlive/modules directory eg. (This is not the case with the 'fromiso=' option).

Thanks for kind attention and any comment.
Shador

Re: Salt cheatcodes

Post by Shador »

Yes, I guess this should be possible to add in a future release, as I mentioned in the beta announcement thread. But I don't think this is important enough to delay a Salix Live release.
Everything needed for that feature is basically already there. But such a change has quite an impact. Probably it's best to enhance the ident_file option to support subdirectories (e.g ident_file=/blub/salix.live), maybe a fromdir option too (e.g. fromdir=/blub and for ident file the default value). I might consider a frompart option too, but imho this one should support labels and uuids, if possible (similar to the linux root option).