put up a torrent for all isos, inc. beta

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

put up a torrent for all isos, inc. beta

Post by mimosa »

Like some other people, I have slow and erratic internet, and on a bad day downloading a 600MB file can be a trial. I finally managed a complete download of the new Salix Live RC on the fourth attempt, after the others died half way - one at 450MB. But md5sum indicates it's a bad download, so I have had to start again this morning.

The great thing about torrents is partial or faulty downloads can be corrected by redownloading only the affected parts, so you're bound to get there in the end, however slow or intermittent your connection.

I imagine the policy is not to put up torrents for beta isos because there isn't the demand to make it necessary. But there are other advantages, namely ease of download. :)
Shador

Re: put up a torrent for all isos, inc. beta

Post by Shador »

AFAIK you're problem could also be solved by using a download manager. I guess for example the Firefox plugin DownThemAll would work.
In any case here's a torrent too, but I'm the only one seeding it atm: http://gaia.homelinux.org/misc/salixliv ... so.torrent
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks Shador! I've actually got it all now, and would be glad to seed as well, but the link won't let me access the torrent file. Actually maybe now there's no need, but for future pre-final releases, a torrent would be great. :)
Shador

Post by Shador »

mimosa wrote:Thanks Shador! I've actually got it all now, and would be glad to seed as well, but the link won't let me access the torrent file. Actually maybe now there's no need, but for future pre-final releases, a torrent would be great. :)
Fixed now. Apparently Transmission creates torrent files with 600 permissions.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks :) Now seeding too, for what it's worth. I think everybody's already downloaded it by now!
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Ok noted. For future version, even beta, I will try to create a torrent on the server with the server seeding.