Kernel suggstions for Salix OS

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
niculinux

Kernel suggstions for Salix OS

Post by niculinux »

Hello

I've seen that salix is usin the 2.6.36.7 kernel version, but I have problems with my broadcom wi fi card not being recognized, so I would kindly make a suggestion:

are gonna the salix developers include the 3.2/3.3 kernel for the next relase of salix?

I think it would be nice, especially with the energy saving bug in linux, which afaik will be solved with those kernel versions.

A blizzard of thanks :D
Shador

Re: Kernel suggstions for Salix OS

Post by Shador »

That entirely depends on the Slackware dev(s)/Patrick Volkerding. We don't ship other kernels than Slackware. For the state of Slackware's current you can check here.
http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/slackware/ ... ngeLog.txt
http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/slackware/ ... ngeLog.txt

Currently kernel 3.2.2 seems to be in the current repository, i.e. the experimental development repository. That can still change but that's the current state. I don't expect Pat though to jump to a even newer major kernel version (i.e. 3.3).
Atip

Post by Atip »

In my working box Salix-Fluxbox-13.37 I am using kernel 3.0.8.It works great. I pinched it from
VL-7.0
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

I'm using a self compiled 3.2.2 on my main PC. If you know what you are doing I don't see a problem in using the kernel from current on 13.37.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
niculinux

Post by niculinux »

thenktor wrote: If you know what you are doing [...]
that's the problem with me :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm very newbie/incompetent...I love the out-of-the-box working... :o :o :o
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

The problem with the Broadcom chipset isn't the kernel and a newer kernel won't fix it. When SalixOS 13.37 was released the Broadcom firmware was proprietary and their license made it impossible for the SalixOS devs to package it. It is now permissible to package the firmware as recent versions of Fedora, Gentoo and Ubuntu have done. I imagine it will be included in the next release of Slackware which means it will also be available in the next release of SalixOS.

In the meanwhile you can use slapt-src or Sourcery to install it using the script at http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.37 ... -firmware/. You'll also need to install b43-fwcutter which, if memory serves, is already in the repository. The netbook I'm using right now works perfectly well with SalixOS/Slackware 13.37 with the firmware added and it has a Broadcom 4312 wireless chipset.