Lilo 23.2 for Salix 13.37

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Lilo 23.2 for Salix 13.37

Post by mimosa »

This isn't a suggestion as such (the suggestion has been made; but to recap, if 13.37 is to coexist with more recent kernels on other partitions, the lilo it comes with at the moment won't work). It's a possible difficulty I've just come across:

In i486, I've found that manually upgrading to the more recent lilo is all that's needed. However when I did so in Salix Xfce 64, I got a message saying that glibc-14 was required (the 13.37 glibc is version 13). Installing glibc-15 from current apparently did the trick, in the sense that

Code: Select all

#lilo -v
produced no error messages (I have yet to reboot to test the result).

I can imagine that might mean upgrading lilo for 13.37 might be trickier for one architecture than the other. Quite *why* a certain version of glibc should be needed, though, I don't see.

EDIT The principal problem is resolved (at least largely) by upgrading os-prober. (That might not happen if a user downloaded a Live Cd to install from.) As soon as I saw it I remembered the discussion before about that. Meanwhile I've made a right mess of this hard disk (which a friend asked me to put Salix on) so it's difficult to reconstruct my steps. I think I'll just wipe it and start again.