[Slackel] FocusWriter

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
zAchAry

[Slackel] FocusWriter

Post by zAchAry »

I suggest to ship the software FocusWriter with Slackel, by default.

Re: tsuren's chest of curious packages.
FocusWriter is a simple, distraction-free writing environment. It utilizes a hide-away interface that you access by moving your mouse to the edges of the screen, allowing the program to have a familiar look and feel to it while still getting out of the way so that you can immerse yourself in your work. It's available for Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X, and has been translated into many different languages.

Features:
  • TXT, basic RTF, and basic ODT file support
  • Timers and alarms
  • Daily goals
  • Fully customizable themes
  • Typewriter sound effects (optional)
  • Auto-save (optional)
  • Live statistics (optional)
  • Spell-checking (optional)
  • Multi-document support
  • Sessions
  • Portable mode (optional)
Author: Graeme Gott.
Toolkit: Qt4.
Webpage: http://gottcode.org/focuswriter/
Code: https://github.com/gottcode/focuswriter
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: [Slackel] FocusWriter

Post by djemos »

I will try first to use it because i don't know anything about it.
jessejazza

Post by jessejazza »

I've used it and don't think much of it (couple of other apps similar i recall) - i write a car club magazine. I couldn't find a page setup if i remember correctly and it has a bug so that a header is printed twice). For distraction free writing i use Leafpad for quick notes, and/or gedit as one's got the spell checker... and i'm trying to master step by step dear Emacs as it offers Wordstar keybiindings (still by far the most efficient for writers). Then transfer to Abiword (or LO-writer) for printing.

In linux one hasn't got a lot of choice for word processing. In windows there was a neat app called Jarte which was perfect for memos, letters and basic rtf word processing. There is an rtf word processor called Ted (multi platform) which is shortly to be released with a new version which does fit into the quick load basic word processor that you're thinking of (in the sense of using associations on filetype when in Thunar). Abiword would be fine but takes a while to load.... longer than LO-writer in fact. Problem with Ted is that one has to separately install the spell check dictionary for one's language rather than select from within the app like Abiword. Depending on the new release that would be worth considering.
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Thanks for the update jessejazza. Sorry to hear that FocusWriter falls short of the feature set mentioned in the first post. Perhaps they got more contributions to marketing docs than to development.

Surprised to learn that Abiword has become bloated, rather than maintaining its mission of being lean and mean.

Glad though, to read that Emacs supports Wordstar keystrokes. I've been considering installing the X11 version in order to navigate info docs with a mouse.

Previously I'd been turned off by Emacs' default key bindings and the attitude that all users should work like touch typists. The muscle knowledge in my fingers reached its peak when using Borland's Sidekick, and anything else requires conscious intervention.