I don't know a distro with a tiling window manager

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
Giliber

I don't know a distro with a tiling window manager

Post by Giliber »

It would be great if Salix OS was the first! I think about ScrotWM which is fast, easily configurable and stable. This may not be in the "KISS" spirit but it could well expand horizons
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: I don't know a distro with a tiling window manager

Post by mimosa »

There is the Salix Ratpoison edition (as yet only available in 13.37, but no doubt coming soon for 14.0). Ratpoison isn't exactly tiling (though I think it can be made to tile) but it is in the family. Also, Xmonad is available from slapt-src/Sourcery (though a better route might be to install GHC from the Salix repos, Haskell Platform from Sourcery, and then install xmonad using cabal). The Ratpoison edition offers a good base for installing xmonad, but there is no reason not to in xfce, and do a few tweaks.

Note that Haskell Platform depends on hscolour.

Spectrwm (formerly scrotwm) is also in the repos, though it doesn't perform as well as xmonad.
fredg

Post by fredg »

A very good one, WMFS (Window Manager From Scratch), is in the repo.
http://wmfs.info/

++
kcirick

Post by kcirick »

There is so many different window managers, tiling or stacking, and one isn't better than the other. We can get into "which WM is the best" argument, but ultimately there is no point. As mimosa said, there is already a Ratpoison edition, which I've never seen with any other distro, so that's already good (I don't really agree with making several "versions" with different WM, but whatever... Instead one should have "base" version without a default WM, which essentially is "Core" or "Basic").

FYI here is the list of Tiling managers one can choose from:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co ... w_Managers
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

@kcirick As I see it, the versions are in keeping with Salix's philosophy as being for "lazy Slackers". It means if you install Fluxbox or KDE it comes with a carefully thought out config ready to go (and also a tailored selection of default apps). The user is free to change all that, but doesn't need to in order to use that version out of the box.

On the other hand, xfce is probably Salix's "flagship version", and there's nothing to stop anyone from putting any of the twenty or so WMs in the repos on top of that and tweaking it by hand. I myself am running such a setup at the moment, though I will probably change to Ratposion when it is released - with carefully designed menus, well thought out defaults, and an unusual selection of apps to fit. I'll tweak that, too, but it is a much better starting point than my end point would probably be if I had to do it all by hand.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

FYI, the user that started this thread was a spambot. Notice any similarities with this post? Those things get smarter every day...

User deleted.
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

They had to find an old post, edit out some of it, and reformat. Appears that a human was likely involved in some or all of that process. Is it possible that they later turned that user account over to spam bot?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

It could be, but I don't think so. A real human would find it easier to write a 1-line original than hunt down for an old post and edit stuff out, put some in the topic title and some more in the post text.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

So the bot takes a real post as its starting point. I suppose it doesn't count as passing the Turing test unless the bot comes back for more :)