Salix 14.

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
Carling

Salix 14.

Post by Carling »

I have downloaded Salix 14 your latest release, made a systems boot disk only to find that it's a Salix 14 install disk. Is it beyond the capabilities of the Salix developers to make a live boot disk like 99% of Linux distribution do, without having to install it,

Sorry I'm going to have to bypass Salix OS, there is no way on earth that going to install it and mess up my system, So in future in your introductions on Sourceforge please state that the Salix OS download is a systems install distribution, Not a live disk distribution, then people won't wast their time downloading it, and creating a worthless DVD,
Elias

Re: Salix 14.

Post by Elias »

Carling wrote:I have downloaded Salix 14 your latest release, made a systems boot disk only to find that it's a Salix 14 install disk. Is it beyond the capabilities of the Salix developers to make a live boot disk like 99% of Linux distribution do, without having to install it,

Sorry I'm going to have to bypass Salix OS, there is no way on earth that going to install it and mess up my system, So in future in your introductions on Sourceforge please state that the Salix OS download is a systems install distribution, Not a live disk distribution, then people won't wast their time downloading it, and creating a worthless DVD,
You can install it on a virtual machine and test it thoroughly before installing on your computer. the live version is in development. :D
pr0t0typee

Post by pr0t0typee »

nobody wants the non-live versions anymore..., i understand Salix OS is based on Slackware and that why non-live versions are still released to try to imitate the text based installer of slackware, but let be honest, the text based installer is a pain in the ass to any beginer user, and that is a handicap that make some people run away from Linux and don't even try it...
Sorry for my bad inglish, i not gringo.
Elias

Post by Elias »

The text-based installer is lightweight and works on most hardware. :D
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Carling wrote:I have downloaded Salix 14 your latest release, made a systems boot disk only to find that it's a Salix 14 install disk. Is it beyond the capabilities of the Salix developers to make a live boot disk like 99% of Linux distribution do, without having to install it,
Is it beyond your capabilities to use anything that isn't pointy-clicky? Is it beyond your capabilities to learn something new? Is it beyond your capabilities to use the arrow keys and the enter key on your keyboard? You know that thing on your desktop that you have pushed aside with about 100 confusing keys on it that each and every one seems to do different things. If it is, sorry Salix is not for you.
Carling wrote:Sorry I'm going to have to bypass Salix OS, there is no way on earth that going to install it and mess up my system, So in future in your introductions on Sourceforge please state that the Salix OS download is a systems install distribution, Not a live disk distribution, then people won't wast their time downloading it, and creating a worthless DVD,
It says it very clearly in our downloads page. Not our fault if you are blind. Goodbye and good riddance.
pr0t0typee wrote:nobody wants the non-live versions anymore..., i understand Salix OS is based on Slackware and that why non-live versions are still released to try to imitate the text based installer of slackware, but let be honest, the text based installer is a pain in the ass to any beginer user, and that is a handicap that make some people run away from Linux and don't even try it...
Sorry for my bad inglish, i not gringo.
Apparently a lot of people want the non-live versions. However if you do want a live version, feel free to create one. All the tools are there online.

I should remind everyone that we actually have live versions. It's just that the official version is still 13.37 and there is also a 14.0 beta.
laplume
Donor

Post by laplume »

gapan wrote: Apparently a lot of people want the non-live versions. However if you do want a live version, feel free to create one. All the tools are there online.

I should remind everyone that we actually have live versions. It's just that the official version is still 13.37 and there is also a 14.0 beta.
Personally I much prefer testing the non-live version which I can install in VM so that I can verify system abilities far beyond a simple live session.
Anyway as, Gapan suggested live version are available and fully functional for 13.37 (equipped with xfce, KDE ad Mate), all is available in the download page of SalixOS site http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/Download

Text based installer is indeed very simple to navigate even to a newbie and there are few 'personal' choices to be taken if one relies on default settings. A salix install procedure is to me much faster and clear than most other GUI based installers.
pr0t0typee

Post by pr0t0typee »

gapan wrote: Is it beyond your capabilities to use anything that isn't pointy-clicky? Is it beyond your capabilities to learn something new? Is it beyond your capabilities to use the arrow keys and the enter key on your keyboard? You know that thing on your desktop that you have pushed aside with about 100 confusing keys on it that each and every one seems to do different things. If it is, sorry Salix is not for you.
I dindt try the Installble version of Salix yet, only the Live version, but i tried to install Slackware 14 SEVERAL TIMRES, and this this what i get, first time i was unable to make partitions with the text based installer of Slackware, so i make them with the Live CD of Trisquel, the second time i got LILO errors, and the third time the installer freezes from the SATA DVD reader, so i tried from the USB DVD, and finally in the last try, when i was able to install Slackware 14 at last, first reboot and MOUSE AND KEYBOARD don't work !!! so i was unable to login ... after that i moved to Salix and i find it more stable than than MESS of Slackware installer, and that why i even try to use the text based installer cause is based of Slackware i maybe i will find the same problems...
This is why i prefer to install Salix from the Live CD/DVD ...
ElderDryas

Post by ElderDryas »

pr0t0typee wrote:...i not gringo.
No, but you are a bit rude.
gaucho
Donor

Post by gaucho »

pr0t0typee wrote: I dindt try the Installble version of Salix yet, only the Live version, but i tried to install Slackware 14 SEVERAL TIMRES, and this this what i get, first time i was unable to make partitions with the text based installer of Slackware, so i make them with the Live CD of Trisquel, the second time i got LILO errors, and the third time the installer freezes from the SATA DVD reader, so i tried from the USB DVD, and finally in the last try, when i was able to install Slackware 14 at last, first reboot and MOUSE AND KEYBOARD don't work !!! so i was unable to login ... after that i moved to Salix and i find it more stable than than MESS of Slackware installer, and that why i even try to use the text based installer cause is based of Slackware i maybe i will find the same problems...
This is why i prefer to install Salix from the Live CD/DVD ...
I've installed both Salix and Slackware from an installation CD/DVD, and IMHO, Salix's version is easier; it has fewer steps, is more straightforward, and -- like Slackware's -- almost all of the default choices offered during the installation process are safe.

The Salix Startup Guide includes a section with instructions on installing from an Installation CD. The most current guide available is for Salix OS 13.37, but the team is working on preparing a guide for 14.0. (That said, I don't believe the text-based installer has changed any from version 13.37 to version 14.0.(1)). In case it might be helpful to you, here's a link to that section:

http://tinyurl.com/cgm3lqj
"Salix OS 13.37 Startup Guide. Sec. 2.4. Installing from a Salix Installation CD."

http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/S ... rtup_Guide
Salix Startup Guide [main page]

You also mentioned that you're not a native English speaker; for 13.37, the guide is available in English, Greek, Dutch, Italian, Polish, Spanish, Swedish, and Ukrainian. Maybe one of these is your native language, or a language you feel more comfortable in reading than English ...

The first time I ever tried installing Slackware, I found Dedoimedo's detailed guide very helpful:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/inst ... kware.html
"Installing Slackware Linux [11.0] - Full tutorial." 15 Dec. 2006.

HTH,
=david
Registered Linux User # 442201

Dell Latitude E4300 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo P9400 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, Intel Wireless 7260
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

pr0t0typee wrote:nobody wants the non-live versions anymore...
I use Live versions as rescue discs only (and Slax is fine for this task). If I want to install a system then the non-live Salix installer is finished before many Live versions have booted to the desktop environment :P :ugeek:
Furthermore: testing distributions with Live versions? What the hell do I have VirtualBox installed for? :twisted:

PS: That are just my 2 cents. Everybody who wants to test distributions with Live version, just do it. I do it not ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)