AMD driver installation

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
petrherynk

Re: AMD driver installation

Post by petrherynk »

Yes, with installation of amd driver there are problems with kernel and I have got recommendation to use symlink. I have never need it. Apologize me.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

So, can you explain a bit more about what was recommended? Perhaps a link to the advice you've been given would be helpful.

Did you follow the instructions on the Salix wiki, linked to above? I haven't ever needed to do this myself, but it sounds quite straightforward. It may be that if you've had problems, a good first step could be to make sure you followed the instructions exactly, by going through them again.
petrherynk

Post by petrherynk »

This answer said, that there are i imcompability between kernel from amd installer and kernel installed in distro. Maybe helpful to use symlink. I created ln - s /usr/identify /usr/src/linux but this isn't correct. I named symlink petr_symlink.txt and location was /home/petr . I didn' find anything better.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I suggest you take a step back and try to understand what you're doing.

Typing random commands that you don't understand, will, surprisingly, result to random things you don't understand.

You were advised to follow the instructions in the wiki, step by step. You obviously didn't do that. Do it now. If you have a problem with a specific step, post here a detailed description of what you did and what the problem was. That's about the only way you will help anyone else help you.
petrherynk

Post by petrherynk »

I think, that I understand command I am typing. I know, that the first part is place, which I want change and the other place from I want to take data. I don't know, where I am mistaking. My notebook, in which I want to make symlink is only for testing. Especially thank you once more.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Learning about the command line is one thing, installing the video driver is another.

As others have suggested: please follow the instructions exactly, and report exactly what goes wrong. In detail, precisely, copying and pasting the error mesages you see into your post.

There should be no need for a symlink or anything else. However, if there is a problem, the advice of people familiar with Salix might help.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

petrherynk wrote:I think, that I understand command I am typing. I know, that the first part is place, which I want change and the other place from I want to take data. I don't know, where I am mistaking. My notebook, in which I want to make symlink is only for testing. Especially thank you once more.
The problem is that you have kernel-3.9.5 and kernel source 3.10.5 Thats why is incompatible.
So either install kernel 3.9.5 source or upgrade to kernel 3.10.5
Then can install amd driver.