Amd driver installation - Salix

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
petrherynk

Amd driver installation - Salix

Post by petrherynk »

I was not successfull with installation of amd driver in Slackel. I tried to install amd driver in salix. Installation was successfull, but after restart I have black screen. Boot is normal nearly till the end. Thank for your help.
witek

Re: Amd driver installation - Salix

Post by witek »

I assume you did aticonfig --initial. If you have black screen try add nomodeset to lilo.
petrherynk

Post by petrherynk »

No, sorry. The same letters are till darkstar, maybe boot is better but at the end is dark.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You need to tell us exactly what you did. My guess is that you need to disable modesetting, but it's only a guess with that little information.
petrherynk

Post by petrherynk »

I have installed salix 14 kde x86_64 from dvd to my notebook on hard disk with independent partition for /home. Than I install amd driver. I downloaded driver from amd driver pages, extracted it, used command bash amd... Slackware/Slackware etc from http://www.pages, aticonfig --initial. Then rebooted and black screen. No modeset is in grub2 menu.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

petrherynk wrote:No modeset is in grub2 menu.
What does this mean?
petrherynk

Post by petrherynk »

You write, that this problem is probably due to missing disabling modeseting. What do you meant?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

You need to pass the nomodeset option to the kernel; maybe it's in "boot options", or maybe you have to edit the command (e to edit I think). In that case, I'm not sure how exactly it needs to be, but just

Code: Select all

nomodeset
on the end of the existing command is a likely bet.

EDIT

Sorry, I assumed you were using Live. So you installed Salix with Grub instead of Lilo? Afraid I'm not much use with Grub. Someone here should be able to tell you how to try gapan's suggestion though.
petrherynk

Post by petrherynk »

Thank you, I know, where command nomodeset should be located, but no success. I tried to install Slackel on this notebook, installation amd driver crashed. I tried to install Salix, installation amd driver successfull, then black screen. I have bought a bad notebook for Slackware. Other distros working OK.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Well, the problem may well be soluble - "nomodeset" is just one obvious thing to try. What did you do to try it? You may know where it should be located, but not everyone reading this thread will know where you think that is ;)

In general, to solve problems like this, it is helpful if you can give a detailed description of what you did and what happened, even if it seems obvious to you.

On another note, one thing to try might be Slackel (Openbox or KDE). This has a more recent kernel and may work fine for you.

Note that the website is available in English or Greek:

http://www.slackel.gr