grub2 or lilo on salix installer

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
djemos
Salix Warrior

grub2 or lilo on salix installer

Post by djemos »

Grub2 is officially included in Slackware repositories.
So what if at installation time users can choose between Lilo or Grub ? ;)
This was the idea. Next work on it.
In details:

1. I have added code on salix installer (in SeTconfig file and submitted file to github for gapan),
so users asked to choose between Lilo or Grub boot loaders to install during installation.

2. I created setup.grubconfig and grubconfig scripts. The first one is needed in installation time to trigger grubconfig , (if user has chosen grub instead of lilo), and grubconfig ask users about extra parameters to passed on kernel e.g. acpio=off is needed for me to boot all salix instalaltion cd's on virtualbox, and next user can choose to install grub on MBR (default) or on ROOT partition e.g. /dev/sda1
Script also run update-grub and using os-prober finds all other os exist on pc and add them on grub menus.
After installation can always run grubconfig to reinstall grub.
salix.png is used as a background for grub.

3. grub2 package has been rebuild to include the above scripts and submitted to package submissions

3. grub2 has to be added on CORE package list and also os-prober has to be moved from FULL to CORE package list also.

4. Users who want to turn from lilo to grub on an existing salix installation can do the following:
Remove any existing grub2 installation and also delete the directories ( rm -rf /etc/default/grub /etc/grub.d /boot/grub)
Then download and install grub2 package
5. Run as root /sbin/grubconfig to install/reinstall grub.
Also can run update-grub anytime they have add a new operating system to update grub menus.

6. For testing all the above i have created a new salix-xfce-lilo_or_grub-14.0.1.iso For anyone want to have a new fresh system with grub2.

5. I have test the installation on virtualbox and here are some screenshots

This is a suggestion to include all these to new salix installation isos. :)

Edit: To make things more clear.
If os-prober is not installed then grub finds only the distribution we are installing or running.
If os-prober is installed then grub finds all OS installed in our PC.
So both grub2 and os-prober have to exist on our system and they are included in CORE list in the iso image.
Users have to install grub2 and os-prober in an existing running system with Lilo and run grubconfig as root
When a new kernel is updated running update-grub all OS will be added on grub menus.
sqlpython
Donor

Re: grub2 or lilo on salix installer

Post by sqlpython »

Good suggestion! Also many will Thank You (myself included) for the new ISO.
Personally, I stopped using lilo over 10 years ago including Slack/Salix installs.
During the 90s I only used lilo.conf . Lilo by the way is perfectly fine but the world moves on and has embraced grub/grub2 for over a Decade.
Whatever the decision I will continue to be a satisfied Grub user.

Edit: Just had to add.... Looked at ScreenShots, first rate work!
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate
Atip

Re: grub2 or lilo on salix installer

Post by Atip »

I do not know if you recall that on my desktop PC the new live installer will not work from a
flash drive, both in Salix and Slackel.

Would that solve the problem I encounter?