Update installation kernel for mkinitrd_command_generator.sh

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
davidengel

Update installation kernel for mkinitrd_command_generator.sh

Post by davidengel »

I installed Salix64 KDE 14.0.1 (I found Xfce 14.0.1 has the same issue) using LUKS+LVM, and I found a problem/issue. The install uses the 3.2.29 kernel while it installs 3.2.45. This difference makes using the mkinitrd_command_generator.sh, as recommended in the Slackware documentation for encrypted drives, not work. It is possible to work around it, and I would expect most people that use encrypted drives could figure it out, but it seems unnecessary. Is there any possibility of getting it straightened out?

David Engel
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Update installation kernel for mkinitrd_command_generato

Post by gapan »

I don't think there's a solution for that. It's a downside of using the same initrd as in the original 14.0 release. The only workaround I can think of is getting the original 14.0 release, which also installs the 3.2.29 kernel and upgrade your system after installation (including the kernel).
davidengel

Re: Update installation kernel for mkinitrd_command_generato

Post by davidengel »

Thanks for the response, gapan. I thought that might be the answer, but I thought I'd check.

As a point of reference for those people attempting this, you can pull up the manpage for mkinitrd and build a command line to generate the initrd from it instead of using the mkinitrd_command_generator.sh script. Roughly, for my situation, it would be something like:

Code: Select all

mkinitrd -C /dev/sdx2 -r /dev/myvolumegroup/root -c -k 3.2.45 \
-m xfs:ehci-hcd:usb-storage -f xfs -L (-h /dev/myvolumegroup/swap) (-l dvorak) -o /boot/initrd.gz
(Note: option items in paratheses; line continuation causes \ - this should be one line)

Meaning:
  • -C /dev/sdx2, the encrypted partition (adds encryption processing to initrd)
  • -r /dev/myvolumegroup/root, the path to root
  • -c, if you need to clear the module tree
  • -k 3.2.45, the kernel module tree to use
  • -m xfs:ehci-hcd:usb-storage, modules to add to initrd (probably varies by system)
  • -f xfs, file system, e.g., xfs, ext4, etc.
  • -L turn on LVM (adds LVM modules to initrd)
  • -h /dev/myvolumegroup/swap - if using hibernation, point to the swap partition
  • -l dvorak, keyboard if using a non-US keyboard layout
  • -o /boot/initrd.gz, the output file
It could be simplified from this, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the interested.