Kickstart? Automated installtion

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
chmuri

Kickstart? Automated installtion

Post by chmuri »

Its there a way to implement the same kickstar file that was in centos? Yes i know that we don't have anaconda but maybe some fork?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Kickstart? Automated installtion

Post by gapan »

No, nothing like that. But it's very easy to do something to the same effect: make a new installation the way you want it, create a backup of it using dd or tar (depending exactly on what you need) and apply that backup to a new system. If you use tar you will probably also have to install a bootloader on the new system, but that's about it.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Kickstart? Automated installtion

Post by mimosa »

I don't know centos, but this post is probably relevant to what gapan is talking about, and is applicable to a whole disk (sda) as much as a partition (sda1):

http://forum.salixos.org/viewtopic.php? ... 646&p16812

However, it does bear repeating that dd is a double-edged sword.

Someone posted recently (perhaps in the jabber room not the forum because I can't find it here) about what sounded like an excellent backup tool that (if I can trust my memory) combined the advantages of a compressed image with the flexibility of rsync, including the capacity to retrieve individual files and resilience against corruption.