Conky at startup

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: Conky at startup

Post by JRD »

I use them (xfce panel plugins)...but frankly, it's not easy and beautiful. You need to add plenty of plugins, each of them having a different configuration and rendering scheme... and it takes a bit of CPU. But maybe in the furute, these plugins could be a bit better and consistent between them.
The CPU Graph plugin doesn't crash anymore for example :)
zaen

Post by zaen »

I dont know about you guys but conky in Salix is like turtle in water. They were like made for each other. On one hand you have an efficient, fast, and resource-frugal OS. On the other hand you have a system monitoring display in simple text on the desktop which is just as fast, frugal and efficient. I installed conky through gslapt and the only downsides being that I had to start conky manually and that the default conky display was not transparent and it's on the left of the desktop.

I went to #!crunchbang homepage and copied one of the .conkyrc configurations there into my home directory. By trial and error I successfully edited that file to get the conky display I am happy with. I have yet to encounter any problem with conky on the desktop.

If future versions of Salix would put conky at the desktop during startup I would suggest that it appear on the upper-right side and have transparent background so my desktop shows through, #!crunchbang-style.

er.. here's a screenshot of conky in my Salix desktop, heheh :mrgreen:
lmello

Post by lmello »

Thy this .conkyrc file (adjust minimum_size to your liking beforehand):

Code: Select all

#avoid flicker
double_buffer yes

#own window to run simultanious 2 or more conkys
own_window yes
own_window_transparent no
own_window_type normal
own_window_hints undecorate,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager 

#borders
draw_borders no

#shades
draw_shades no

#position
gap_x 6
gap_y 6
alignment top_right

#behaviour
update_interval 1

#colour
default_color  8f8f8f
#default_shade_color 000000
own_window_colour 262626

#font
use_xft yes
font monospace:size=7

#to prevent window from moving
use_spacer none
minimum_size 1266 0

TEXT
${voffset -1} Cpu: ${color e0e0e0}${font}${cpu}% ${color} Mem: ${color e0e0e0}${font}${mem} ${color} | ${color} Up: ${color e0e0e0}${font}${uptime_short}${color} | ${color} Net: ${color e0e0e0}${font}${downspeed wlan0} Kb/s ${color} ${totaldown wlan0} downloaded${color} | ${color} ${color e0e0e0}${upspeed wlan0} Kb/s ${color} ${totalup wlan0} uploaded${color} | ${color}Root: ${color e0e0e0}${font}${fs_free /} ${color} Home: ${color e0e0e0}${font}${fs_free /home} ${color}
Everything below 'TEXT' is a one-liner, don't edit the file with nano because it'll automatically put a LF character in the end and you'll get ']' echoed.
rhz

Post by rhz »

This flickering and sometimes disappearing is something like heart beats. I love it.

To see how much CPU percentage is used is sometimes important, e.g. 100% for a long time without any reason or still the 2% and I´m waiting for the application to start and nothing happens.

Changing the update interval manual in .conkyrc might be a solution, the functionality of conky depends on the hardware, you are running.

# Update interval in seconds
update_interval 4.0

works with my PIII 1 GHz pretty fine. Isn`t possible, to write something for a new installation, recognizing the hardware and creating a conkyrc fitting to it including a readme with suggestions, if it doesn`t work?

I think, a lot of people like this systemmonitor and it would be another reason, to use salix, if it`s included.
Chokapic

Post by Chokapic »

I just put my two cents in the middle. ;)
I have long used Debian, Ubuntu and CrunchBang and discovered conky. Indeed, as each may be his personal creation suited to their needs, what interest include default conky in the distro. However, I will be quite favorable to the opening of a special discussion conky setup for those who are interested.
I felt the need to post my new setup for my conky weather here after stopping the service free weatherforecast. Discussion that already exists in the French Ubuntu forum elsewhere.
:arrow: http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... A9t%C3%A9o
Le plus grand pouvoir dans le monde est le nombre de personnes qui pensent et agissent de concert au même moment il est temps de s'en servir pour rétablir les valeurs fondamentales de l'Humanité Une.