an extra console in installer

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
bender02

an extra console in installer

Post by bender02 »

First I should say that I've just yesterday discovered Salix OS and I'm still liking it after installing it on 2 laptops ;) Nice work, guys! Relatively minimalistic and yet smoothly working :)

I have one suggestion though: On the second laptop I installed it, I wanted it to have root (/) on a LVM volume. I more-less followed the slackware on LVM article (http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-1 ... ME_LVM.TXT) and it went fine; except that a setup like this requires running a couple of extra commands in a console. I wasn't able to get into a shell in Salix's installer, so I had to 1) create the required LVM volumes beforehand; 2) after the install, boot another linux, chroot into Salix and create an initrd. It would be nice if one would have an extra shell handy to do this during the install - although I have no idea how easy/hard is it to adjust the current installer to allow for an extra tty [I have a feeling that it shouldn't because tty4 (or 5) is already used for some output.]
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: an extra console in installer

Post by gapan »

Hmm... OK, I'll try to do it for the next version.
pwatk

Re: an extra console in installer

Post by pwatk »

This could be something and nothing but I noticed that if you exit setup (straight after selecting your keyboard layout) then start it again tty2 becomes available. I didn't check others because I didn't need to but I know I wasn't able to change tty prior to this.