Openbox edition - Wallpapers and file manager

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
chakuari

Openbox edition - Wallpapers and file manager

Post by chakuari »

Hello. As I read that now SpaceFM is discontinued, I just wanted to ask what are you planning to use next time. I vote for Thunar, and Nitrogen as wallpaper setter. ;)

Antonio
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Openbox edition - Wallpapers and file manager

Post by gapan »

Probably pcmanfm. Thunar brings in too many xfce dependencies.
richm76

Post by richm76 »

There was an update to SpaceFM at the end of March 2014.
Has anyone looked at XFE as a file manager? Very light and fast. It does look old school but is very functional. I use it all the time.
There is a SlackBuild if you want to try it out. If you want you can download the newest version (1.37) and edit the SlackBuild script
to the new version.

http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

richm76 wrote:There was an update to SpaceFM at the end of March 2014.
And it was the last update, ever.
richm76 wrote:Has anyone looked at XFE as a file manager? Very light and fast. It does look old school but is very functional. I use it all the time.
By using yet another different toolkit, it looks completely out of place with the rest of the desktop, so no, it won't do.
richm76

Post by richm76 »

OK. Than I would guess pcmanfm would do. I guess you are trying to cater to the newer user with this derivative.
I've been using Slackware for 7 or 8 years now and although I might mention it to a newer Linux user I would never suggest
they start out with it without trying something else first. Even something else as easy as Salix OS, Slackel or Zenwalk.
I was looking around at other ditros to see how they performed on an ancient Celeron computer I just fixed.
Openbox seems to work fine so far, but I like using X apps on such a old machine so I'm back to Slackware proper on that machine.
I also installed i3-wm and it's running real nice.
Thank you for your comment gapan.
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

See references of some other file managers at http://forum.salixos.org/viewtopic.php?p=35124#p35124
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
salixious

Post by salixious »

gapan wrote:Probably pcmanfm. Thunar brings in too many xfce dependencies.
+1 for PCManFM, although who knows what dependencies it will bring in with the merger of LXDE and RazorQT. I don't care for Thunar at all.

@chakuari: The developer is discontinuing any further development and maybe not for good according to his post. It's also always possible that someone else, or others, may fork the project as well.
jsfarinet

Post by jsfarinet »

I'd vote for Thunar. For a long time i user PCManFM (mostly lubuntu and/or Debian LXDE) but then i tried crunchbang and i found Thunar better especially for handling external devices. But ok, it's not a big deal to exchange them.

As for wm i stick with Fluxbox (exchanged even in crunchbang Openbox by Fluxbox).

Ah, i forgot: feh as wallpaper setter.