slapt-get

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
salixious

slapt-get

Post by salixious »

01) When a user runs slapt-get --update, the results should indicate the number of new packages to be updated; reference functionality of agt-get update or aptitude update.

02) When a user runs slapt-get --autoclean, a message should be displayed indicating how much disk space was freed; reference functionality of agt-get autoclean or aptitude autoclean.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: slapt-get

Post by gapan »

salixious wrote:01) When a user runs slapt-get --update, the results should indicate the number of new packages to be updated; reference functionality of agt-get update or aptitude update.
That's not what --update does. You're thinking about --upgrade.
salixious wrote:02) When a user runs slapt-get --autoclean, a message should be displayed indicating how much disk space was freed; reference functionality of agt-get autoclean or aptitude autoclean.
There is no --autoclean option. And it doesn't make sense to have one.

In general, slapt-get is not supposed to be an exact copy of apt-get. It's just a tool that provides similar functionality, but certainly not identical as distribution intricacies have to be taken into account.
salixious

Post by salixious »

gapan wrote:That's not what --update does. You're thinking about --upgrade.
I was comparing to apt-get/aptitude under Debian.
gapan wrote:There is no --autoclean option. And it doesn't make sense to have one.
If you do a slapt-get --help at the command line, --autoclean is referenced as an option. So is it safe to say that the listing from the --help option has an error?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

salixious wrote:I was comparing to apt-get/aptitude under Debian.
Maybe, but --update does not upgrade any packages, it just downloads repository information, so it doesn't make sense to display package upgrade information.
salixious wrote:If you do a slapt-get --help at the command line, --autoclean is referenced as an option. So is it safe to say that the listing from the --help option has an error?
Right, I got confused and was thinking of autoremove. Maybe you can propose this to the slapt-get developer over at jaos.org.
salixious

Post by salixious »

gapan wrote:Maybe, but --update does not upgrade any packages, it just downloads repository information, so it doesn't make sense to display package upgrade information.
I realize that, but using apt-get/aptitude update under Debian, you don't have to go through with the upgrade option if there are no updates listed. Under Salix, a user has to run an upgrade to find out if there are any upgrades, unless I'm just not understanding something.
gapan wrote:Right, I got confused and was thinking of autoremove. Maybe you can propose this to the slapt-get developer over at jaos.org.
I will look into doing that.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Do not compare debian or other distro's with slackware. Slackware has it's own "behavior" of doing things.
Slackware has a different philosophy. It is clear, simple, fast and user is the master of the system.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

The first thing is just a question of design. I doubt it will be changed, and it's not very hard to do

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-get -u && sudo slapt-get -U
Your suggested feature for autoclean might be nice, and I'd say there's more chance the developer might do it. Assuming he doesn't though, just run df before and after. You will almost always find you haven't freed up that much space, especially if you do so at all often.