Salix Full DVD i18n + codecs

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
mihaua

Salix Full DVD i18n + codecs

Post by mihaua »

It will be great to see Salix Full DVD for offline install, every time when I propose some distributive to my friends, I confused by offline or slow internet connection. There are no localization files, and English version is not acceptable, the same thing with codecs - I try to show users multimedia content but can't. With pain in heart I must propose Mageia DVD, OpenSUSE DVD or Trisquel i18n DVD.

As far as "Full DVD" means different install template on same DVD, It will be great to return to Slackware method of package groups naming - like "K,N,X,XAPP,XFCE,MATE,CODECS".
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix Full DVD i18n + codecs

Post by gapan »

If you're talking about SalixLive, then you can install whatever you want in the live system and use persistence to make it permanent.

Codecs are a strange issue. We would like to include all codecs in a default installation but we can't, because then we cannot distribute the isos through servers located in the US. And since a lot of the sourceforge servers that we are using are located there, we just can't. The codecs installer we're providing though, has to be the easiest way to install extra codecs across any distribution.

As for the DVD, it's not feasible. Simply because there is a lot of work behind creating each iso. We're not just throwing packages in there as most distributions do. And we definitely don't have all editions available in the same time, especially when the first edition in each version is released. Salix Xfce 14.1 was released on March 2014 and Salix Fluxbox 14.1 was released on September 2014.