System monitoring on Salix Ratpoison

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
rrttdd

System monitoring on Salix Ratpoison

Post by rrttdd »

I still think that Salix Ratpoison is a nice distribution. But all the time it has been a little bit unhandsome to use on a laptop since it was hard to monitor clock, battery status and wifi signal strength.

My current solution is letting Ratpoison start the Conky system monitor when booting up.

I added a "goto Conky window" line to my main.sh file

Code: Select all

"CONKY" "ratpoison -c 'select Conky'" \
in combination with .ratpoisonrc

Code: Select all

definekey top Menu exec ~/.ratmenu/main.sh
I get a quite direct access to the Conky window showing all important information. :)

I think monitoring the battery on a laptop is quite important, also when using Ratpoison. My suggestion is to add Conky to the preinstalled programs of Ratpoison and auto start it on bootup..
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: System monitoring on Salix Ratpoison

Post by mimosa »

Conky can be a resource hog, so would make a poor default for users with old hardware. Also, it's not everyone's cup of tea. The Ratpoison aesthetic is simple and bare.
rrttdd

Post by rrttdd »

Hm, I'll try to reduce the resource consumption. But nevertheless, some kind of battery monitor for laptop computers is definitely missing in Salix RP IMHO. Even a text window showing the current battery state would be a good progress.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You can always come up with a keyboard shortcut that will use the ratpoison echo command to show you the current battery level at the ratpoison messages area (top right). ;)

hint: you can parse the battery level out of /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state...
bobo
Douche bag

Post by bobo »

I think what you're looking for is "ratbat", i don't use a laptop, haven't learned to use a .sh script yet, my time comes from the default: bind +a exec time.
https://github.com/jbaber/ratpoison_scripts
Desktop: Celeron - 2 GB RAM - HD 160 GB - Slackel/Salix - icewm/jwm - Grub
KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid