Keeping Salix Alive

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
lucky9

Keeping Salix Alive

Post by lucky9 »

I have been searching through the various Salix websites to see what is new in Salix and have seen that nothing has been updated in almost a year. This gives an impression that Salix is a dead project. Updating the blog once in awhile will let people know that the project is still actively developed and relevant.
Salix is the the best Linux learning tool I have used and want to see it prosper.
HP DC7800 SFF | 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Salix64-Xfce-14.1
ChuangTzu
Donor

Re: Keeping Salix Alive

Post by ChuangTzu »

Lucky,

Agree, but also keep in mind that Salix/Slackware are so reliable that often there isn't much to report. The other distros have alot of chatter usually because of all of their problems and users trying to help each other overcome them.
jcoleman

Post by jcoleman »

Just plain works. Been tempted to try something else but then, sensibility kicks in, and ask self why? Distro hopped for awhile but then it became a vicious circle and couldn't see the point. Maybe just getting old and want something that is stable and just works at least for my needs.
Dabble with Slackware in VirtualBox, both Current and 14.1 just to learn a little when time allows but that's about it. (runs very well in VB by the way)
Thanks Salix team and members for development and support.

PS: the Misses likes it also (at least the complaints are very few and far between :)) )
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

lucky9 wrote:...nothing has been updated in almost a year.
Excuse me? Have you seen the changelog? Did you get no package updates during the last year? Are you sure?
lucky9 wrote:This gives an impression that Salix is a dead project.
No new releases is far from being dead. Salix is closely tied to Slackware and since Slackware has no new release for two years now, Salix has no new release either. Because the default kernel in 14.1, as well as xorg (mostly) is becoming a bit old, there could be some issues with very new hardware. But if you have a PC that already works OK with 14.1, you don't really need a new release.

To be honest, I considered the idea of making an interim release with updated kernel and top level applications, but I finally dismissed it. It would mean breaking backwards compatibility with Slackware (but not compatibility with Slackware) and it would suck if a month or so later Slackware decided to make a new release anyway.
lucky9 wrote:Updating the blog once in awhile will let people know that the project is still actively developed and relevant.
No argument there...
ElderDryas

Post by ElderDryas »

Seeing as how the subject has been brought up, the tea leaves and road kill entrails say there will be a new Slackware release soonish (probably before the end of the decade). :mrgreen:

Thus my question:

My hardware is a eight year old laptop with a nvidia chip that nvidia has stopped supporting (as of 340.x, which works just fine, thank you). The net and wifi chips are supported out of the box. I never even get close to using all the the 2 gigs of RAM I have.

In short: Salix 14.1 works perfectly for me as it is.

But: When Salix issues a new release (say 14.2), I understand that the old release (say 14.1) will receive security updates for a unspecific (but longish) period of time. My question is (finally), what about applications that are normally updated during the cycle, such as Fire Fox and Thunderbird (what gapan called "top level"?)? Will Salix 14.1 receive these as backports? And if the answer is "usually, yes", what applications are normally on the list for this benefit?

Thanks in advance (and apologies if this is published somewhere else, I couldn't find it), and please keep up the good work, it <is> appreciated.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

yup, it will be ready when its ready. I have a feeling that PV may time releases to when the LTS kernel it launched with gets close to being EOL, just a hunch though. If thats true then a new release is imminent, as 3.10 is EOL as of Sept. 2015. 3.18 will be good until Jan. 2017, so that gives us a good ballpark.

If your hardware works well with 3.10, I would think 3.18 would still be good for it. Only problem is usually with new hardware and old kernels not old hardware and new kernels.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

ElderDryas wrote:But: When Salix issues a new release (say 14.2), I understand that the old release (say 14.1) will receive security updates for a unspecific (but longish) period of time. My question is (finally), what about applications that are normally updated during the cycle, such as Fire Fox and Thunderbird (what gapan called "top level"?)? Will Salix 14.1 receive these as backports? And if the answer is "usually, yes", what applications are normally on the list for this benefit?
It would still get the security fixes its getting now. Taking a look at the changelogs (both Slackware and Salix) for older releases, will give you an idea. These certainly include firefox and flash, which are updated by us, as new releases come out. Others are on a case-by-case basis. For example, we've had a libreoffice update recently. Thunderbird, not that much, since this is updated by Slackware and Pat seems to not update it for the previous stable and older.
ElderDryas

Post by ElderDryas »

gapan wrote:These certainly include firefox and flash...Others are on a case-by-case basis.
Thanks for the clarification, gapan. It was just what I thought it would be.

For far too long I was in the "Newer must mean better" and "I wanted it yesterday" camp. Now that my hardware (and I) are just beginning to show the first suttle signs of age (right!), it's nice to know I still have options.

Again, kudos to all involved and thank you.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

ElderDryas,

With many things, rarely is newer better. Let the new things prove themselves first, then when they become mature consider them for implementation. :)
ElderDryas

Post by ElderDryas »

ChuangTzu wrote:If your hardware works well with 3.10, I would think 3.18 would still be good for it
Last I looked (5 minutes ago), -current had 4.1.6, not 3.18, for a kernel. Doesn't matter, 3.19 and 4.1.x (Canonical's versions anyway) work fine for my hardware (even restricted to nvidia 340.x).

Not sure what's going to show up in 14.2 though (and does anyone really know what the next version number will be?).