using sbosrcarch as main source repo

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
travis82

Re: using sbosrcarch as main source repo

Post by travis82 »

I bumped this thread to know is there a way to configure slapt-src so that it can download source files from secondary repositories? my students have problems to install sbo packages on slaix here and many packages still don't exist in extra.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

SBo has the links it has to source files, and some of them are out of date. That may be why compiled versions aren't available for those packages in our extra repository. The only way is to look around online and update the SlackBuild accordingly in each case. It isn't something that can be automated, and it isn't centralised - those source files are part of the applicable projects in each case.
travis82

Post by travis82 »

Thanks. As i mentioned in the first post, sbosrcarch can be used for this purpose. Sbotools has already done that by matching md-5 of source files with their counterparts in sbosrcarch. But it has its own drawbacks and is not always compatible with salix. It would be very helpful if users can use sbosrcarch as secondary repository for sbo packages in salix.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

travis82 wrote:I bumped this thread to know is there a way to configure slapt-src so that it can download source files from secondary repositories? my students have problems to install sbo packages on slaix here and many packages still don't exist in extra.
As slapt-src just reads the provided URLs, I think that the way to go is the one that has been proposed by gapan: build a new PACKAGE.TXT replacing the download URLs by those from sbosrcarch, if available (see post dated 3. Déc 2015, 15:26).

I could try to do that in the coming days if no one else is faster.
travis82

Post by travis82 »

Many thanks Didier. I highly appreciate your work. However, I think sbosrcarch should not be used as default repo for source files as it lacks some few packages and some source files might be behind their current version in sbo. It's better to have it as an option so that users can choose it if downloading source files from main repo failed.
I have opened an issue for slpkg as well. But slpkg is not a good option for salix. Manually tracking dependencies and downloading source files is what I am doing on Slackware. But, that would be nightmare on salix and I want my students to focus on their thesis. That's why I have installed salix as a more ready to use slackware system on their machines.
travis82

Post by travis82 »

Fortunately we could temporarily solve the problem by installing l and d series of Slackware packages and using sbotools to install packages from SBo.