using sbosrcarch as main source repo

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
travis82

using sbosrcarch as main source repo

Post by travis82 »

Hi all

Recently I read gapan post on Salix blog about dedicated SBo mirrors designed for salix and spi tool. I really appreciate the idea behind creating these mirrors as small official repository and dependency problems with SBo packages always have counted as main drawbacks of using Salix. I bet developing these mirrors will encourage ordinary desktop users who want a more ready to use Slackware based system to use Salix.

However, as you know SBo info files address scattered servers to download source. Sometimes this lead to problems concerning downloading package sources because of occasional hiccups of these servers. Also, some of these servers (eg googlecode and sourceforage) restricted access of Iranian people to their sites because of political sanctions. Hence, using automated tools to install and upgrade SBo packages has some drawbacks too. This means manually downloading slackbuilds and sources (from alternative servers) and building packages which is not so bad on Slackware but would be a nightmare on Salix due to many dependencies which must be installed.

Thanks to Darren 'Tadgy' Austin there is an updated centralized repository for all sources of SBo packages in http://slackware.org.uk/sbosrcarch/. I think this is not bad idea if Salix lets slapt-src to use this repository either by editing info files of it's own SBo mirrors or by providing an option for slapt-src to look to other places to download packages. I know this would be so much of works, but IMHO having a centralized repository for source files worth that. By this procedure Iranian users can taste this Great distro too.

Best regrads

Sorry for my english
ginsim

Re: using sbosrcarch as main source repo

Post by ginsim »

^ Your English is fine mate :)
And I personally think that you have a valid point.

Cheers
Simgin
My Doctor is called Racket.
travis82

Post by travis82 »

ginsim wrote:^ Your English is fine mate :)
And I personally think that you have a valid point.

Cheers
Simgin
Thank you very much. However it seems that Salix developers don't agree with us as they didn't trouble themselves to reply.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

travis82 wrote:However it seems that Salix developers don't agree with us as they didn't trouble themselves to reply.
What? How did you make that assumption? Could it be possible that nobody had the time to spare to write a reply?

Anyway, you suggestion has merit. It shouldn't be that difficult to implement either. I'll see what I can do.
travis82

Post by travis82 »

gapan wrote:
travis82 wrote:However it seems that Salix developers don't agree with us as they didn't trouble themselves to reply.
What? How did you make that assumption? Could it be possible that nobody had the time to spare to write a reply?

Anyway, you suggestion has merit. It shouldn't be that difficult to implement either. I'll see what I can do.
Sorry for the assumption and thanks for your attention. I am looking forward to see how it goes.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Seems like a reasonable idea.
What thinks should need adaptation gapan? Do you want help on this subject?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Hi JRD! Probably only a simple script should be added here:
https://github.com/gapan/repo-scripts/tree/master/sbo

It should take each URL entry in the SLACKBUILD DOWNLOAD line of the SLACKBUILDS.TXT file, extract the basename and change the URL to point to this instead (probably using the by-name directory):
http://slackware.org.uk/sbosrcarch/

I haven't still checked if all source files are actually there though. It shouldn't be hard to implement but I haven't found the time yet. If you can hack at it, feel free to do so. :)
travis82

Post by travis82 »

Sorry for bad news.
After further investigation I found out that sources of some packages doesn't exist in sbosrcarch (for instance jdk). Hence, using sbosrcarch as default source repository for SBo is not a good idea. It is better to configure slapt-src so that it uses sbosrcarch only if downloading from main source repository fails or can't be verified.

PS: pink-mist has added this feature to sbotools by my suggestion and now sbotools uses sbosrcarch as secondary repository for source files by their md5. you can get it from https://pink-mist.github.io/sbotools/do ... -1_SBo.tgz (although it is not very useful for Salix users). Seems that sbopkg will have this feature in near future.
https://github.com/sbopkg/sbopkg/commit ... 7d31958d88
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

travis82 wrote:Sorry for bad news.
After further investigation I found out that sources of some packages doesn't exist in sbosrcarch (for instance jdk).
jdk is not a good example, because it is not available from the main URL either and it will never be, at least not directly. Are there any others you have found?
travis82

Post by travis82 »

gapan wrote:
travis82 wrote:Sorry for bad news.
After further investigation I found out that sources of some packages doesn't exist in sbosrcarch (for instance jdk).
jdk is not a good example, because it is not available from the main URL either and it will never be, at least not directly. Are there any others you have found?
Here is the result of my complete survey on number of packages in both SBo and sbosrcarch based on the branches of SBo tree

academic: SBo=212 sbosrcarch=208
accessibility: SBo=14 sbosrcarch=14
audio: SBo=301 sbosrcarch=300
business: SBo=10 sbosrcarch=10
desktop: SBo=363 sbosrcarch=360
development: SBo=467 sbosrcarch=462 (obviously one of missed package is jdk)
games: SBo=417 sbosrcarch=415
gis: SBo=48 sbosrcarch=48
graphics: SBo=200 sbosrcarch=196
ham: SBo=42 sbosrcarch=42
haskell: SBo=153 sbosrcarch=153
libraries: SBo=843 sbosrcarch=842
misc: SBo=162 sbosrcarch=161
multimedia: SBo=187 sbosrcarch=185
network: SBo=610 sbosrcarch=604
office: SBo=158 sbosrcarch=157
perl: SBo=380 sbosrcarch=380
python: SBo=367 sbosrcarch=367