EDE desktop?

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
jsfarinet

EDE desktop?

Post by jsfarinet »

Recently i converted a chromebook (with 1,5 gig and 16 gig flash) to tinycorelinux (was a steep learning curve for me ;) ) and doing so i got a little bit familiar with fltk and the ede desktop (equinox project). I'm not really familiar with, but in some way i'm impressed by its "snappiness". Wouldn't it be an idea to make a salix ede edition?

I don't know exactly about the possibilities to configure pekwm windowmanager, but i'd presume there will be some (the default appearance of ede is not exactly what i like, but ... let's say so: there is space to improve things. (In tinycore i sticked with fluxbox because i'm familiar with and the screen resolution (of that machine) does not give so much space to have a large nice desktop. But on other machines, may be it's an idea. I installed ede directly from the binaries to my salix fluxbox installation, just to play around with it a bit. Might be an idea for an old amd turion based hp pavilion i still have here (may be installing slackware and the configuring step by step, to learn something) ...

Cheers and, in case, Happy New Year!
ChuangTzu
Donor

Re: EDE desktop?

Post by ChuangTzu »

Hello,

It is in the sbo.

"sudo spi -i ede" should do it.

Curious, whats the advantage over fluxbox, jwm, openbox etc...?
jsfarinet

Post by jsfarinet »

ChuangTzu wrote:Hello,

It is in the sbo.

"sudo spi -i ede" should do it.

Curious, whats the advantage over fluxbox, jwm, openbox etc...?
I know that's in the sbo. I rather thought of an a little bit embellished version (like the salix fluxbox, which is really nice). One advantage is, that, seems to me, on ede you can have icons on the desktop (which from time to time could benice - although personally, i do not need/use it that much). From what i experienced with it playing around in tinycore is, that it feels extremely snappy. Since i'm not familiar with pekwm i did not try it out in deep. May be there are serious limitations.

As i said: i like fluxbox, i do not like openbox because of its - imho - awkwarded configuration (but, i'd like to have the openbox undecorate option in fluxbox too ;) ). And jwm, which i used for while with lubuntu on an old g4 powerbook has a lot of problems/bugs.
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

Dont' like OpenBox :o :o
That isn't possible..
Perhaps you meant Soapbox :D
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »