Suggestion for XFCE Live DVD

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
zaen

Suggestion for XFCE Live DVD

Post by zaen »

Hi guys. I almost can't believe that my last visit here was last June 2011. That's five years ago. I have a new laptop but my old one just refuse to die (Acer Pentium Dual-core with 2GB RAM). I gotta admit I've ran newer distros here but the hardware shows its age. So instead of it just barely keeping up with the new distros, I thought I'd revisit Salix and revive my old laptop using this lightweight OS. One of the best moves I've made lately.

But in my haste, I installed the XFCE 14.1 Live 32 bit only to be stumped with the inability to choose the home partition. My fault, I discovered later that this was explained in the wikis. No matter, installation went without problems and I just used the vacant partition as a data repository to be shared with another lightweight distro I'm dual booting this with: Linux Lite 3. May I suggest that the updated sli and salix live packages be included in the Live CDs? This would help smoothen the installation of those who wish to have a separate /home partition.

So far so good. Movies play fine. Sound ok. No surprises. Perhaps my only gripe is that Google Chromium takes a great deal of time to install since it has to be compiled first. I maybe asking too much but may I suggest also that Chromium be made available as an installable package just like Firefox? In the end I just installed Firefox. I've also installed dropbox and youtube-dl using their websites' methods just fine. Overall, I'm impressed with Salix XFCE 14.1. I have pretty much what I needed for this laptop which is once again performing fast. Thank you. This is a wonderful distro!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Suggestion for XFCE Live DVD

Post by mimosa »

About Chromium, you can use alienbob's package:

http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/chromiu ... available/
http://slackware.uk/people/alien/slackbuilds/chromium/

Just download according to your architecture and

Code: Select all

sudo spkg chromium*txz
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

google-chrome 64bit
google-chrome 32bit This is an old version since google does not support 32bit anymore.
salixlive-xfce was the first live iso released
salixlive-mate has the option to use a separate partition for home
So this will be the default for future live releases along with other improvements have been done in the background even are not seeing by user at installation time.

you can also build by your own the latest goodle-chrome downloading everything from here
And also the latest google-chrome 64bit debian binary from here and put it in the same directory.
Then run as root the google-chrome.SlackBuild to create the slackware txz package.
zaen

Post by zaen »

Hello again guys. I appreciate the information you shared. I'll check them out. As you pointed out, I installed chromium from alienbob's website. But I couldn't start it by clicking on its icon in the start menu. After starting it from the command line, I saw some permission errors along with a fix:

sudo chmod 1777 /dev/shm
Chromium started after that but on reboot, I needed to enter the code again to use chromium. Sorry to hear that Google dropped support for 32-bit chrome, but it's a good thing there are still options to install chrome as you mentioned. Thanks.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Add this line on the end of /etc/fstab

tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
And chromium will work on reboot. This has been fixed in the live installer.
zaen

Post by zaen »

djemos wrote:Add this line on the end of /etc/fstab

tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
And chromium will work on reboot. This has been fixed in the live installer.
Wow! I confirm that this works. Thank you.