Ability to change Salix Menu Font Etc

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
happydog500

Ability to change Salix Menu Font Etc

Post by happydog500 »

In Salix xfce, when you click on the Salix menu, the words that pop up are very thin. The font is small. The whole menu takes up a small part in the corner. In other DE, when you click the "start" menu, the words are bigger, thicker font. Being older, I have to look hard to read the menu.
Why have everything crammed in a corner with small, thin letters? It's not like the menu stays up while using the computer. At least have a way to change it.

Certainly, we may have people posting, "it not to small for me" kind of posts, but if you look at other DE, this is the smallest, thinnest, close together letters I've seen in any popular DE.

I posted on another thread and didn't get anyplace to adjust it. You can make bigger almost everything on the panel except the Salix Menu Font.

I'd suggest making the font bigger or making it so you can adjust it. Maybe you can? but I did not get a way in a question I posted.

Thank you,
Chris.

Had two pics to give a good example but can't post pics from my computer.
Once you go Salix, you don't go back
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Ability to change Salix Menu Font Etc

Post by gapan »

There is no separate setting for "Menu font size". You can only adjust "Font size", which changes the font size of everything on the screen. The size of the fonts in the menu is the same as everything else on screen (buttons, application menus etc). If you can't read the menu text, you can't read anything.
happydog500 wrote:In Salix xfce, when you click on the Salix menu, the words that pop up are very thin. The font is small. The whole menu takes up a small part in the corner. In other DE, when you click the "start" menu, the words are bigger, thicker font.
What other DE? Certainly not true for MATE, the font size is exactly the same as with everything else on screen, as with Xfce.
happydog500 wrote:Why have everything crammed in a corner with small, thin letters? It's not like the menu stays up while using the computer. At least have a way to change it.
You have a way to change it.
happydog500 wrote:I posted on another thread and didn't get anyplace to adjust it.
You got the exact same reply you're getting here.

Anyway, if you really think this is a problem, feel free to raise the issue with the Xfce project. This has nothing to do with Salix or any other distribution.
happydog500

Post by happydog500 »

I have a very good example to give, but I can't post pictures here. i disagree with what has been said but can't post pictures to show. Sorry.

Thank you,
Chris.
happydog500

Post by happydog500 »

Unbelievable. I'm thankful for any replies, try not to start problems. I always end by always saying thank you, because i really mean it.

But this is unbelievable. You think xfce DE is the same? I said that it's hard to read. You think this is the same? You disagree that xfce does not have the words close together, crammed in the corner that makes it harder to read then the other? "Certainly not for MATE?" You don't think MATE letters are spaced out making it easier to read? Unbelievable.

I'd have to admit, it could be that I'm having problems and I way off. If I am, I'm sorry.

Here is Cinnamon (just for comparison), MATE (that this forum says is the same as xfce?) and xfce.

I guess someone could look at these and say xfce is the same in regards to how easy it is to read, but I can see a big difference.

Thank you for the replies. I'll try and figure out what you guy's are seeing. I try and never think I'm right and others are wrong.

Thank you,
Chris.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Sure, if you shrink the screenshot as you have, it will be hard to read the text. You can shrink it even more and then it will be even harder!
happydog500

Post by happydog500 »

gapan wrote:Sure, if you shrink the screenshot as you have, it will be hard to read the text. You can shrink it even more and then it will be even harder!
I didn't shrink it.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Right. Your desktop has a size of 695px × 556px. Whatever.
happydog500

Post by happydog500 »

gapan wrote:Right. Your desktop has a size of 695px × 556px. Whatever.
"Right" Wrong. I never resized anything. I can't print a screen shot, so I searched "xfce desktop." "Cinnamon desktop" and "MATE desktop." Saved the first photo in each one. This is the same as I have on my Salix desktop.

My Salix Desktop is just like the one I posted, exactly. The menu pops up in the corner, exactly as it shows in my post. No difference AT ALL. The words are close together, EXACTLY as is shown. Cinnamon is shown, EXACTLY how it is in my Cinnamon desktop. Bigger, thinker letters, more spaced apart.

xfce on my desktop, comes up to about 1/3, up. Cinnamon comes 3/4 up. Thus, it's bigger, thicker with more space in between the letters. If you can't see that, that is sad

Your acting like this is a debate, where it's YOUR OPINION, against mine. My statement is not an opinion, its fact. Your arguing YOUR OPINION, against my facts.

Why don't you prove your point?

Start up Salix xfce desktop. Measure how far it comes up, stock. Then take Cinnamon and measure how far it comes up. Then take MATE up, measure how high it comes up. Take those measurements, post them back here, and prove that xfce is not smaller.

You want to make me look even worse? Like an idiot? Measure the difference between the bottom of the letter, to the top of the next row, and post the numbers of how much room there is. If xfce has the same room as Cinnamon and MATE, your right. If xfce pops up smaller, with less room in between rows, go back and look at how much effort you made to argue your opinion, that there is no difference.

Remember, this is stock, out of the box menus.

xfce menu pops up ___________________ of an inch
Cinnamon menu pops up______________ of an inch
MATE menu pops up__________________ of an inch

The space in between each row is

xfce_________________________________
Cinnamon____________________________
MATE_______________________________

Your argument is that these numbers are the same. I say that xfce is smaller, with less space from top to bottom of the rows. The whole menu comes up shorter then other desktops.

Sorry for any misunderstandings.
Chris.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

happydog500 wrote:Why don't you prove your point?
Because I don't have to. You have to do that. You're the one asking for help.
missTell

Post by missTell »

It makes no sense comparing Cinammon Menu with XFCE, Mate etc. like you do. If you want Cinammon Menu, you'll have to install another Linux distribution - preferably Linux Mint. Linux Mint is Cinnamon developer and nowhere else it looks better. However ...

In XFCE you get 3 different menus.

1. The "Classic Menu" is the one you get on right click on desktop.

2. You can pin that "Classic Menu" on the task bar (as per default in Salix).

Now you hopefully understand why the layout and the font in that menu is "as is" and why it is perfectly good so.

3. But ... There is one more XFCE Menu which is what you might be looking for. It is not installed per default in Salix XFCE.

You can easily install it over Gslapt. Write "whisker" in search field and you will discover:

xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin

It looks like:

Actually, there is a way to style both menus (or all three, depending how you count), the Classic and the Whisker menu but it has no GUI and it has to be done over gtk configuration files. Which files and where they are depends on the theme that you are using.

Default themes are in /usr/share/themes/THEME_NAME. If you added some extra themes, it's very probable you put them in your home folder, so the path would be /home/YOUR_USERNAME/.themes/THEME_NAME

In your home folder, there is usually one hidden file named ".gtkrc-2.0". With a help of that file, you can also change the default look of different components like menus, task bars etc.

As an example for changing Whisker look, make a backup of your original ".gtkrc-2.0" file (if there is none, simply create one) and put the following text inside:

Code: Select all

style "darkback"
{
	bg[NORMAL] = "#404040"
	bg[ACTIVE] = "#606060"
	bg[PRELIGHT] = "#808080"
	fg[NORMAL] = "#ccc"
	fg[ACTIVE] = "#fff"
	fg[PRELIGHT] = "#fff"
}
widget "whiskermenu-window*" style "darkback"

style "darktree"
{
	base[NORMAL] = "#404040"
	base[ACTIVE] = "#606060"
	text[NORMAL] = "#ccc"
	text[ACTIVE] = "#fff"
}
widget "whiskermenu-window*TreeView*" style "darktree"
Normally, Whisker should change color immediately but, if not logout and login again.

Hopefully helps.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain)