How to suggest the package to the Salix repo?

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
reedych

How to suggest the package to the Salix repo?

Post by reedych »

For example I made a SLKBUILD and I want to add it to the main repo. It's useful for me because I want to propagate Salix. I can make mine repo, but it will be unstable because I do not need to test packages. I know about sourceforge but there's no activity.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: How to suggest the package to the Salix repo?

Post by mimosa »

viewforum.php?f=20

Because the repositories are frozen after each release, that is the best you can do for now. There is information in the wiki about packaging and submissions, for when the time comes.
Papasot
Donor

Re: How to suggest the package to the Salix repo?

Post by Papasot »

Personally, I use my own mini-repo for the few packages I really need up-to-date. It's pretty easy to make your own repo, and I have yet to encounter any issues by doing this for quite some time now. Of course, you have to thoroughly test the new packages you add in your local repository, and in any case I wouldn't recommend overdoing it.

If, however, you end up realizing your local repo has to be bloated with many packages to suit your needs, consider Slackel (the "brother distro"). It doesn't have frozen repositories, and has way more package updates (it basically follows Slackware-Current).
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)