14.2 with Openbox or Fluxbox

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
Papasot
Donor

Re: 14.2 with Openbox or Fluxbox

Post by Papasot »

AlYuSed wrote:So, I need a reliable, comfortable and a thin layer to do their business. Nothing special: surfing the Internet, movies, music, programming, virtual machine.
Suffice to say, I have Salix 14.2 Xfce installed in a mediocre laptop, and I use it for developing my own applications, and running virtual machines. Such a mediocre laptop can run, e.g., Window$ 7 or freeBSD in VirtualBox while I have several applications running in Salix itself (I do it quite often and never had issues). You don't need a monster PC for the tasks you want to do.

Unless your hardware is really very old, you don't need something lighter than Xfce either. For example, a few experiments I did show that StumpWM (a lightweight tiling window manager, the successor of Ratpoison) is about 9% lighter than Xfce in terms of memory footprint
In the end, if you really need Openbox, just install Salix 14.2 Xfce, then install Openbox; it won't take long.

Another option is Slackel, which comes with an Openbox flavor (It is a rolling distro)..I run Slackel Openbox on an old netbook, and it runs surprisingly well. My "main" computer also has both Salix Xfce and Slackel Openbox installed. I believe they will both suit your needs very well.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
AlYuSed

Post by AlYuSed »

Papasot wrote:Suffice to say, I have Salix 14.2 Xfce installed in a mediocre laptop, and I use it for developing my own applications, and running virtual machines. Such a mediocre laptop can run, e.g., Window$ 7 or freeBSD in VirtualBox while I have several applications running in Salix itself (I do it quite often and never had issues). You don't need a monster PC for the tasks you want to do.
Yes, I completely agree with You. It is not in the configuration of my computer, although it is also quite mediocre by the standards of modern desktop: Celeron G460 (dual-core 1.8GHz), 4Gb RAM, 300Gb HDD. This is more than enough for my purposes, I could even run some nasty stuff like Ubuntu. I just don't like bloated software and all unnecessary waste of resources. I'm a perfectionist, so too long to choose. It is necessary to make a final decision. So it is a psychological problem, not technical.
Unless your hardware is really very old, you don't need something lighter than Xfce either. For example, a few experiments I did show that StumpWM (a lightweight tiling window manager, the successor of Ratpoison) is about 9% lighter than Xfce in terms of memory footprint
In the end, if you really need Openbox, just install Salix 14.2 Xfce, then install Openbox; it won't take long.
Yes, I also noticed that the "lightness" of many environments is greatly overvalued. The difference 100-300Mb doesn't matter compared to, for example, memory consumption of Firefox. And certainly this applies to virtual machines. In other words, if 4Gb will not satisfy me, I'll have to do an upgrade, in any case (this is not a problem, because there is a free memory slot on the motherboard). Trying to economize by moving to another environment will give too little effect and would require too much effort.
Another option is Slackel, which comes with an Openbox flavor (It is a rolling distro)..I run Slackel Openbox on an old netbook, and it runs surprisingly well. My "main" computer also has both Salix Xfce and Slackel Openbox installed. I believe they will both suit your needs very well.
I looked at this distribution, it is quite nice, but I'm still more inclined to Salix. I have the impression that Slackel will require more attention, configuration and maintenance.
Anyone who on 24 October, 1917 had a chance to snort cocaine on the deserted and inhuman Petrograd avenues, knows that man is not the king of nature. -- Victor Pelevin, "Crystal world"
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Salix, Slackel and Slint work closely with each other. :D